Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Smethwick

Default Re: Smethwick

SMETHWICK HERO OF WW2 -

WILLIAM "BILLY" SAVAGE V.C.

As a boy, I used to buy my sweets from Savage's, the sweet shop in Raglan Road, just off Cape Hill.

His story is remarkable: the Raid on St. Nazaire in 1942, where he was awarded the posthumous V.C. for gallantry.

http://www.smethwick-heritage.co.uk/heroes-savage.htm

Ton UP boy
    I knew all the magical men.Cox senior was a Charge hand,I worked under W Taylor,Des Barnes(known as bostic sandwich)George Axorn who
    became blind, Biil? Hughes,he died while I was placed with him,Stan Burlison.Les Wilden(noder).Doug Barnes ended up runing the Transport
    section ,Howard Cox moved to goods inwards.Ginger Leigh became a trade union officer and comitted suicide setting his car on fire.There
    is also John Bowden who moved to Tame Bridge.Cyril Brown had a brother Gorden who was a top designer.When I was with Hughes we
    built 1474's.
    On another note I belong to Avery Retired Employees Association.We meet once a fortnight starting this year on 11th.Jan
    at the old Nettlefolds sports ground in Thimblemill Rd,Smethwick.There are about 50 to 60 of us a mixture of office and shop floor
    all in 70s or 80s.we have a program Quiz Medleys,in dor Golf,Quoits,Skittles ,Lecture usually with a slide show..
    Regards
    John Hughes

50s BUSES IN SMETHWICK
    Does anyone remember the little single decker bus that used to run between Shireland Road, on the boundary with Birmingham, and West Bromwich?
    It belonged to West Bromwich Council, I think. It went past Victoria Park, the Council House, up Oldbury Road, over Galton Bridge to W.B. Light blue? Rickety, but nippy.....

WW2 SMETHWICK

By chance, I found a rich seam of reminiscences about the period on the BBC site.
    Here's one about a Heinkel crash in Hales Lane.. Will post more later.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a3816461.shtml

SMETHWICK AT WAR.WW2
    Here is another eye-witness statement...... http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a4315015.shtml My grandmother lived in Blackthorn Road.

WW2 SMETHWICK
    This story I knew about from my father, who was there.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a4437371.shtml

Yes, if you look at the toilet wall in Windmill Lane, you can still see the bullet holes from a German aircraft, which was strafing the town. As a lad, I was fascinated by this immediate, and tangible, connection with the past.

WW2 SMETHWICK
    Another interesting reminiscence - http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/16/a3396116.shtml
    Council House parachute land mine 10feet high!:shocked:

WW2 SMETHWICK
    Harry Mitchell Park battery, ack-ack, shrapnel and shelters..........
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/51/a5403151.shtml

Default Re: Smethwick Council House Landmine

My aunt Joan and grandfather Frederick Weaver were on duty at the Council House that night. I was told that all the young men who had been eyed up by the girls in the past were forgotten, and the girls suddenly became more interested in the reassuring calm of my grandfather while the land mine swung from the lines.

A copy of the letter sent to Edmund Charnock the Mayor of Smethwick informing him that the bravery of the staff who remained at their posts had been mentioned by Herbert Morrison to His Majesty the King who gave orders for the publication of his name in the London Gazette as representing those who rendered service on that night.
    Civil Defence Let.JPG
    Dragon

I remember waiting for this bus at the very end of Shireland Road where it becomes Portland Road, outside the hairdressers and a greengrocers which I think was called Barretts. It was the 252 and my mother and I caught it most Saturdays to visit her twin brother who lived off the Newton Road at Great Barr. I seem to remember catching another bus to take us on the second leg of our journey from West Brom past Hallam Hospital down the Newton Road to the Malt Shovel where we got off to go to Pear Tree Drive.

Uncle Charles brought us back in his bright orange Derwent Television van at night when it was dark - very exciting going down Forge Lane and the back of Smethwick in the dark with the van lights picking out the trees and then the houses on the way.

Happy days.

Dragon

Maypole, formerly Kings Norton and Edgbaston

Quote Originally Posted by Smethwick Striver View Post
    50s BUSES IN SMETHWICK
    Does anyone remember the little single decker bus that used to run between Shireland Road, on the boundary with Birmingham, and West Bromwich?
    It belonged to West Bromwich Council, I think. It went past Victoria Park, the Council House, up Oldbury Road, over Galton Bridge to W.B. Light blue? Rickety, but nippy.....
    Yes, the terminus was outside the next door shop to my Uncle Holly's drapery shop, (his full name was Holford Edison Penfold) and as a youngster I used to watch these two-tone blue, and cream single deckers with a peculiar rear entrance (quite common in Scotland, apparently - so called a Scottish Entrance!).
    One is nearing the end of a lengthy restoration by it's enthusiast owners, and should be back on the road later this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Smethwick Council House Landmine

Thanks, Dragon! Glad you showed us that letter. What sacrifices our parents' generation made, eh? If my parents were here today, would they have thought they were worthwhile? But that is another story.

And the 252 to West Brom - of course. At the top of Shireland Road there used to be a milk bar, on the right, THE thing of the 50s.
    As you say, happy days.

I lived in Smethwick during my teens (1959). My parents owned the grocery shop in Brasshouse Lane, next door was Jessons the sweet shop and the other side of us was the wool shop. There was also the old Beacon cinema next door but one. On a saturday afternoon my friends and I would join the happy band of Baggies fans to walk up to the football ground, rattles in hand and scarves and hats on. No violence then, just a few fans going to watch our boys play. In fact I went out for a while with a group of young footballers from the youth team. We used to go ballroom dancing ( they would love me for saying so). I met my husband to be at Springhill Ice Skating, and he lived in Rolfe Street. His mother had a wholesale food warehouse. Saturday evening we used to go to the Princes Hall Picture House on the High Street and have chips out of newspaper on the way home. My first job at 17 was as shorthand typist at Pneulecs in Mafeking Road. We used to go up Cape Hill to the market for bargains. We didn't live in Smethwick for long before moving to Great Barr, but they were happy impressionable days and I have fond memories.

born smethwick 1949 poplar st off windmill lane gran aunts uncles lived in lower cross st others lived in molliet st dad worked at birmid mom worked for gkn, me I owned the little red bus co in rabone lane one thing I can remember is our address 4 poplar st smethwick 40 staffs

Was that Coopers/Shewards (by the baths) or the one at the top near the Station?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast