Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Pub Bombings

Default Re: Birmingham Pub Bombings

I'm pretty sure theres a pic of King Kong on the forum somewhere with a clear view of the mulberry bush in the background.

And another of a midland red bus with it in view as well if that helps, good luck

Nechells, Sparkbrook, Balsall Heath.Now Solihull.

Hi Jim

Is this any good to you, I don't know if it was before or after the event. I hope it can be of some use to you. I will look to see if I can find any more. I have others that were taken on that terrible night but I am not going to post those because obviously would be of little use to you.

Phil

Time wastes our bodies and our wits, but we waste time, so we are quits.

Here is a link to the CAIN web service and detailed statements from the accused…

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/events/other/1974/faul76a.htm

hi guvenor
    just read your thread where you stated the producers named the bombers
    from my recollection nor the mp involved never did named the bombers to producers of
    the media ; i watch that programe and they never apprended the bombers either
    and the chaps they caught on the train was the wrong guys they was decent hard working folk on there
    way to a funeral but the real bombers was still here in hiding and still are rubbing shoulders with us
    the authorises today have learnt alot and are very highly aware of such people around today
    despite warng from the goverment and the police to joe public askingus to be viligient
    most people do not remember after afew days of it being mentioned on the news or in the papers
    and forget it it people was permantly vilient it would be safer for us all
    even with todays warnings with our strifes in the world you have got to be viliegent
    have a nice day guys and remember keep them peeled Astonian ;;;

Thank you Phil

That is just perfect. Another question if I may, does anyone know when the Mulberry Bush closed? I am sure I have read an article that mentioned it and what happened to it afterwards but I can't for the life of me find it! After it closed I am sure it remained a pub under a different name and I have a vague memory of seeing carlesburg logo's there. Which I thought a tad odd as the Rotunda above it had Castlemain XXXX logos around the base.

Best regards

Jim

Nechells, Sparkbrook, Balsall Heath.Now Solihull.

Hi Jim

If memory serves me, The Tavern in the Town was renamed The Yard of Ale and The Mulberry Bush was renamed The Bar St Martin.

Phil
    Time wastes our bodies and our wits, but we waste time, so we are quits.

I was working in the Bullring on the escalators from the bridge down to the main shopping area when the first bomb went off (we didn't know where at that time) and within a few minutes the Mullberry Bush went up and we saw the blast and felt the vibration as we were looking across at the Rotunda, we wrapped up as fast as possible then got out of there. Later (a couple of weeks) I had to go back to King Edward house (Teddys Bar) to help survey the lift equipment and then down to the Mulberry Bush to do the same thing on the escalators which led up to the bank in the Rotunda. It was not a pretty site and the way the blast had left the front of the bar in Teddys looking like a porcupine with splinters and yet all the glasses intact was astonishing. I remember it very clearly and I also remember some of the people who were lost due to the blast, they worked locally in the Bull Ring and in the offices and shops in New Street. There were many scares and false alarms during the following months but November 1974 was a sad time and a bad time for the Irish community (of which I was a part) tempers were running high and people were all to ready to lash out verbally and physically at any Irish accent. But the vast majority of the Irish community abhored the whole idea and the means of what the IRA were trying to achieve.

I have some photos of the aftermath of the damage to the Rotunda some where. I was in Corporation Street/Cherry Street when the bombs went off. I felt the ground move and then people were running past me then the sound of the emergency services arriving and a police cordon being put across Corporation Street.

IMGP3245.jpg
    The shattered remains of the Mulbery Bush.
    I find it very hard to post these clippings as I narrowly missed being in the tavern that evening.

IMGP3247.jpg
    Carnage.

IMGP3246.jpg
    The Duke of Edinburgh visits to view the damage.

IMGP3248.jpg
    Bad,bad days.

I used to drink in the Tavern in the Town every evening but that evening I didn't have enough money so I gave it a miss and kept on working. When it reopened as the Yard of Ale it didn't have the same atmosphere as the Tavern.

I was learning shorthand at Sight and Sound by the Birmingham Post and Mail Building on that evening. I was not aware of the bombings until I got home on that night and it was on the news, but I do remember sirens continually going. Our teacher at the time never came back as apparently she witnessed the aftermath.

This brings back memories for me as the Birmingham bombings were instrumental in our leaving Birmingham to live in Lincolnshire.

I was at my mum's in Sutton that night, and my step-sister worked at Bernie Inn in town.
    After we saw what had happened on the TV news my step-father went into town to find her as we hadn't heard anything from her and we couldn't get through on the phone, of course my step-father wasn't allowed near the town and had to come back home without news of her.

Thankfully we finally heard from her and that she was safe.

Our three daughters were then teenagers and beginning to want go into town in the evenings, that was when we decided to leave the city for rural Lincolnshire and hopefully a safer environment for them.

It was very traumatic at the time, and sadly a tragic time for the families affected.
    Our past is always present.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast