Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Brummie Ghosts

Default Re: Brummie Ghosts

I've only just noticed that I've missed a good few posts on this thread....... For some reason my automated 'post' warning seems to have failed me of late!!

Whatever - it's great to see so many people willing to share their stories!!

Concerning the ghost of Lady Scott - I'd heard many years ago that her apparition is said to walk the area around Great Barr Hall. During a (house) investigation in Great Barr earlier this year, we were told that her ghost had allegedly been seen in a road adjacent to the one we were then currently in.......

Regarding Great Barr Hall itself - I had a bizarre experience while exploring the ruin a couple of years ago. I had entered the building, through the main doorway, and had started to take some photographs of the entrance hall. While in the process of messing with my camera, I clearly heard 'someone' kicking through the long grass which grows along the front of the hall, seemingly heading in my direction. All sorts of things went through my head - nothing ghostly though - with my finally thinking that I was about to either get mugged or possibly hassled by police for trespassing. With the idea of the former option strongest in my mind, I (practically thinking) reasoned that it might be best if I was outside the Hall itself if I was going to be 'attacked' in some way.......

Heart in my throat, I stepped out of the door to meet whoever was approaching and - yes, you've guessed it - there was no one in sight!!!???!!!

At a later date, myself and a group member were walking through the Hall, with a video camera running, when we picked up the sound of a womans voice saying (what sounded like) the name 'Carmen'??? The building is exceptionally secluded and, as far as we know, there wasn't a woman within a mile or so of us. The strange thing was that the word seemed to be specifically drawn out and emphasised as two separate syllables: 'Car-Men'.........

Unfortunately, at a visit to the site last year, we found that the Hall is now securely fenced off with a static security guard and vicious rottie!!! The building had already undergone some alterations, having been stripped of it's windows, etc. Heaven only knows what it looks like now????

Keep the stories coming folks!!!

Regards,

Nick
    www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gee View Post
    but one of the best-known Brum ghost-stories is the Haunted Telephone Kiosk in Station Road, Erdington. It's supposed to be the ghost of a woman desperately phoning for an ambulance for her sick child (or so I've heard). I knew someone who lived in Station Road ages ago and she claimed to have seen the ghost.

The other one I remember hearing about is the ghostly form that's been seen around the main entrance to Witton Cemetery in Moor Lane, supposedly the victim of a road accident.
    Hiya Big Gee,

The phone box story is indeed a well known tale - though the details concerning 'who' the woman was (why she was there and so on) appear to have been something which has been 'tagged onto' the tale over the years to add a little flavour to it. I've also heard that it was a woman desperately trying to call the fire brigade because her family were burning to death in their nearby house, etc.....

The original sighting of the figure concerned a couple of people standing outside the phone box, waiting to use it while a woman with a red (or pink) cardigan occupied it. One of the people waiting grew a little fed up and, upon opening the door of the box to complain, found that there was no one inside it after all. (Off the top of my head, I get a feeling that the person opening the door to complain was recorded as being a trainee priest, or some such - though I'd have to check the details??)

The ghost of Witton Cemetery is said to be the ghost of a young, handsome man in RAF uniform, for some reason(?) no one knows why he appears there, but he's been seen crossing the road outside the cemetery and heading off in the direction of the nearby canal......

Regards,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    we were told that her ghost had allegedly been seen in a road adjacent to the one we were then currently in.......

Ooops - have to correct myself here...... It wasn't Lady Scott herself - now I come to check my notes - but the phantom coach which has been associated with the area around Great Barr Hall!!!!!

Regards,

Nick

mike-g Guest

Slightly outside Birmingham, since the M6T road has been opened there have been several reports of a troop of Roman soldiers marching across the road near Wall; they are seen from the waist up the rest of the body appears to be in the road

badger Guest

I'm a sceptic.......but with an open mind..as I feel more comfortable with that rather than believing there is nothing after death. (no proof either way)
    But a story related to me by my Brother in law who was a security guard at cadburys, was of an apparition in one of the upstairs canteens (I think)
    he called out to challenge this "person" and he dissapeared. A colleague had the same thing happen except the "person came towards him, and "past" him, although apparently there was no room to pass. The Colleague was found collapsed and white haired and was retired soon after.
    (could be just a story but my brother in law is not the type to make things up.)

When I was growing up at Soho House (then a hotel) in Handsworth, many stranged things used to happen. Soho had been the home of Matthew Bolton who lived there from 1766 to 1809. He leased the land in Handsworth in 1761, and improved the house that he acquired on it, over the years of his occupation. The most famous story is the one of the coach and horses that was occasionally heard coming up the driveway and stopping outside the front door. I never heard it, but both my Mom and Dad did, but it was just the sound of the horses hooves and carriage they heard - they never saw anything.

Mom also said she was ironing once, late at night when everyone else had gone to bed, so it would be after midnight I would think. When she heard a low groaning noise. She was so frightened she dashed upstairs to bed with the rest of us. She did say later that it might have been one of the hotel guests snoring, but I wonder ...

As a child I would often experience the feeling of someone else being in a room with me, when I was alone. A feeling so strong of someone watching me that it would almost overcome me, I would have to get out of the room. The most scary thing that happened was when my friends and I decided to make a Ouija (weegie) board and see what would happen. We set it up in our sitting room at the hotel, and the upturned glass on the board kept wizzing around and mostly stopped with a message for me. I thought the others were messing around until all of a sudden a shock went right through me - it was like an electric shock that went from the top of my head right down the left side of my body to my feet. I jumped up screaming, and we all ran out of the room. Needless to say I have never experimented with this again !

Many little incidents occurred like those happened while we lived there, perhaps too many to be coincidental.

When the house was being restored by Birmingham Museums & Art Gallery, we were privileged to be shown around it some months before it opened to the public - it had been stripped right down. In the room next to our sitting room had been a boarded up fireplace. When it was opened up, they found a besom in the corner of the fireplace - to ward off witches !! Our sitting room was supposed to be the site of the original building/or warriner's hut on the Heath.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    But a story related to me by my Brother in law who was a security guard at cadburys
    Not too long ago, we'd been negotiating with Cadbury's for an investigation of their factory, but all of the supposedly haunted sections had actually been demolished ages ago!!:D Pity I hadn't heard your Brother in laws story previously Badger - then we might have had something to work with!!:D

Judy - I do envy your time at Soho House!! What an incredible building.... I belive Matthew Boulton was a member of the Lunar Society and, as such for that point in time, would have attended meeting at (the allegedly haunted) Great Barr Hall mentioned elsewhere in this thread.....

It would be nice to think that the Soho House 'Coach' may well be the same phantom vehicle that is associated with Great Barr Hall too - given the (albeit tentative) connections between these two sites?

Regards - and thanks for sharing to you both.

Nick
    Last edited by Nicholas; June 7th, 2008 at 13:38. Reason: ammended

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Ooops - have to correct myself here...... It wasn't Lady Scott herself - now I come to check my notes - but the phantom coach which has been associated with the area around Great Barr Hall!!!!!

Regards,

Nick
    Dear Nick

KEVIN GS here seem to be having a problem replying to the above e mail address or am I being stupid.

spanner.sharman@blueyonder.co.uk

Originally Posted by Nicholas

Regards,

Nick

The Phantom Coach? See it every night when I go out to lock the car. My missus says its the 997 bus to Aldridge, but I'm not convinced.

Regards (hic!),

Big Gee

Born Handsworth grew up in Sutton now in Tamworth

Kevin it's a website address not an email address. If you need to contact Nick send him an Instant Message. You can do this by clicking on your user control panel in the blue band above.
    Names interest; Jennings, Yates, Howell, McKnight, Parton, Stroud, Bratt, Baker, Caldecott, Zipfell, Hook, Marston, Norton.

Thanks Wendy......

Aye Kevin - you can PM me on this forum or contact me by e-mail on wmghostclub@yahoo.co.uk

Regards,

Nick

Beryl M Guest

I thought this might be interesting to some of you?

Are Scientists Afraid of Ghosts?
    By Donald Ryles PhD, CH

Donald Ryles Ph.D Paranormal Page

Dear Beryl - Sadly, this is just strikes me as typical of the sort of pro-paranormal rubbish that someone claiming to be a 'lifelong student of the Supernatural/Spiritual/Mind Science Related' and 'A Clairvoyant, Seeker' would come out with.......:D:D

All those letters after his name, but still clearly a slave to attention seeking ways and his bizarre, personal belief system.... (that is, if he actually believes what he is saying, of course?)

Regards,

Nick

Beryl M Guest

Hi Nicholas - Thanks. . . To tell you the truth I got that I wasn't sure what to believe that's why I put it out there. . .

It's not just the sceptic in me with a lot of these things to be honest Beryl, there are just so many people spouting so much rubbish on / about this subject. 99.9% of this is based on unfounded beliefs, of course, or for the sake of making a quick buck somewhere along the line.....

I must admit that I get somewhat vexed at the negative response my presence - in a paranormal framework - causes on history forums...... though, having seen some of the rot that gets posted up, supposedly in the name of 'ghost research', I cannot blame anyone for being hostile really!! (Adverts for ridiculous commercial concerns or 'Most Haunted' inspired clubs who run around with psychics in the dark, etc).

Regards,

Nick

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast