• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

York Supplies Kings Heath

It doesn't look as if it is. I think it is the store and what it represents - old fashioned service. Solihull lost an old fashioned hardware shop a few years back. The sort that sold however many you needed not just packs of things where you had to buy half a doxen when you only wanted one. etc.

1968 phone book. Still there 1983 so no idea when they moved to the present site.
1690035635307.png

Last edited:
£600k is a hell of a lot of money for a small business. I would love to take a look at the accounts and understand what the actual assets they are buying are.

I remember York Supply when it was in York Road. Brilliant shop for DIY before advent of so called DIY Superstores. They always had what you wanted and also cut wood to size - unusual in those days. I remember when it became Wilmot Security - much the same shop but with security services added eg installation of burglary alarms etc. Not surprising as it was taken over by ex-Inspector Bennett who lived in Cambridge Road. Not sure when it moved to Waterloo Road? The old premises became the "Kitchen Garden Cafe" - is it still there?

I do hope that York Supplies continues to trade. Unlike the DIY Superstore down the High Street it always has the size of screw you need - not just the popular sizes and never "out of stock". And if you only want 2 or 3 - they are happy to oblige. Great range of traditional ironmongery/tools which are difficult to buy elsewhere. Garden plant section, although not large, does have some unusual plants as well.

Incidentally does anyone else use Jeffries Hardware & DIY Store in Acocks Green? Another traditional family business & just brilliant!

Last edited:
Back