• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yeomanry - Montgomeryshire

lynr

Brummie babby
Where am I able to access information on the Montgomeryshire Imperil Yeomany- My great Grandfather was in this volunteer service for three years

There appear to records for soldiers who were in the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry on both Ancestry and findmypast, may just be WWI records though.

Googling Montgomeryshire Yeomanry also brings up lots of results including for the National Library of Wales.

Thank you MWS. I do have my Great grandfather's WW1 and WW2 history, however, it is the Yeoman's that I am interested in, if the enlistment information that he provided, he would have been 'around' 17 years of age - does this seem to be correct?.
I also 'googled' as you suggested, and have been able to leave an email requesting information. Thank you again

I'm pretty sure you had to be 18 to enlist but men lied and there doesn't seem to have been any checks made.

Thank you again MWS. I don't suppose you have any idea where I might be able to find correct information of this volunteer service?

You often find that 19th newspapers regularly carried a column of "Stations of British Army" that list every regiment and where they were stationed that week, often individual battalions.

A sample below.

Attachments

• Yorkshire Gazette - Saturday 10 June 1843.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 3
Not sure what you mean by correct information. Do you think what you have is wrong?

Wikipedia has some general info...

Thank you again MWS. What I meant by correct is my question ; 'did my great grandfather provide inaccurate information for the WW1 enlistment regarding his three year service in the Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry'?. The only reference that I can find of someone with the same name, on the Anglo Boer War website have him as being in the Driscolls Scouts; with a note in red stating that 'Never joined Regt.'. I do feel that this entry is correct.

You often find that 19th newspapers regularly carried a column of "Stations of British Army" that list every regiment and where they were stationed that week, often individual battalions.

A sample below.
Thank you JMB:
I am fairly certain that I have found the information that I was searching for regarding my great grandfather. Despite him not joining the Regiment of the Driscoll Scouts, he did go on to serve in both WW1 and WW2 as a machine gunner , even 'tho he did lower his age for WW2.

Back