• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley cemetery

rowan

Born a Brummie
Most of my family are buried in Yardley cemetery and many moons ago my brother took some photographs of some of the graves where our ancesters are interred but sadly he had misplaced them before he showed them to me!!:Aah:

Does anyone have a photograph of Yardley Cemetery at all please? I have looked on the internet but to no avail.

Rowan my husbands parents are buried at Yardley the next time we visit I will take some photo's.
Here is a map of the cemetery sorry its not very detailed.

Wendy

Many thanks Wendy, i look forward to seeing them.

I do recall going with my Grandfather to my Grandmothers grave and walking from Clay Lane entrance and he told me that my Fathers grave was "just over there" pointing to the right side of the path!! As I never knew my Father (he died before I was born), I guess to a 9/10 year old, it didn't sink in.:cry:

Hi Rowan: I was quite certain I had seen some photos of Yardley Cemetery online but like you I couldn't locate them. Moma P will come up with some soon I'm sure. If you go to this website and open up the Yardley Cemetery
link there is one photograph of the cemetery and also a lot of information about the place.

There are also other historical links to all of Birmingham's Cemeteries and Crematoriums. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=6491&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=483

Rowan, If I were you I would contact Yardley with all the info you have full name date of death etc and they may give you the grave number then I can take a photo for you.

Yardley Cemetery Plan

Here's a nice plan of Yardley cemetery I managed to get while there taking some photo's for one of our members across the water.

Hi Rowan, heres a couple for you, c 1910/30s

Last edited:
I went to Yardley Cemetery with the name and date of death of my great grandfather and they were able to tell me exactly where he was buried and show me where the site was on a map. They were very helpful.

Yes gee-em they are very helpful. I was so pleased as we located two graves. One they helped to point out on the map. The other was detective work for me and my husband, we didn't even have a grave number.

Here's am general photo of the cemetery.

I am off to Yardley Cemetery tomorrow in search of my great-great-grandparents :) (I just did a drive-by at about 6pm, was shocked that it was all locked up as the cemeteries where I'm from are generally always open)

A very kind person at Yardley told me where the bodies were interred and the grave no - obviously there may be no headstone but how do I know which grave is which :rolleyes:

I know its Section 40 and the grave is 42106 but the section is massive - is it a case of just wandering around aimlessly for 5 hours trying to find it?

Hi Joanna,

There is an office, not far from the entrance gates, if they are open, ask in there, otherwise look out for a member of staff. And they will be able to give you directions to the row. They open at 10.00 a.m. I think on a Saturday.

Ann

I have a map of Yardley Cemetery and section 40 is the fourth block on the right when using the Clay Lane entrance. First path on the right divides section 37 from 38, second path is between section 38 & 39, turn into the third path and the begining of section 40 is on your left. I have found that the grave numbering at Yardley is easy to follow - not like Handsworth! If I were more technical I would show you the map, but scans and things are beyond me! Happy hunting and please say 'hello' to my Gt Grandparents and Grandmother in section 50.

hi joana
if you go to the office they will give you a map and the plot numbers
and if they are not to busy one of them will take you around to the plot
or they will tell you which path to go down from the office its quite a walk
my grand parents are burried down by clay lane gates
think there was two gates in clay lane mine are the bottom gates
my grand parents were ernest jelf and victoria hinton she died in the 50.s
he died in the year 70. but the gentle man in the office looked it up
for me and gave me a plan with there plot numbers on and walked
down with me they are very helpful people
best wishes astonian ;;;;

Thanks, they sent me a plan of the cemetery on email so I know where 40 is, it's the actual grave numbering is beyond me.

I'll second that Astonian. I've also found the staff at Yardley very helpful.

Ann

When you get to the area section 40 you will see the grave numbers usually at the foot of the grave. It is not difficult to follow the numbers. Good Luck!:)

Back