• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woolworths Hockley

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Hi Everyone
i know this is a long shot but does anyone have any pics or memories of Woolworths on The Flat Hockley ..I worked there in 1969 and would love to know if anyone remembers it
Thanks Maggie

Hi Maggie,
Were you in the Hockley store when Gwyn Pugh was the manager? Between 1969 and 1971 I was the Woolworth manager not far away in Dudley Road.
I've just joined this forum and will post a few things about Woolworth.
I went into the Walsall store for the last time today(yesterday) and there was virtually nothing left .... shame, but that's today's business world.

Hiya Roger
Just found your reply..I was there in 68/69.Loved the job ..I worked on the cosmetics counter just opposite the cooked meats as you went in the front door..I was 15 then and left because i was offered a factory job with more money..We really had some good times at Woolies..would love to see some pics if anyone has some
Maggie

Hi my son rang to tell me that Woolworths at Hamel Hempstead they were selling the shop fittings his neighbor had bought the kitchen equipment
so it looks like they are stripping all the assets out of the properties
cheers 33bus Tom
icon7.gif

hi maggs
i remember the old woolies for one reason
and thats for buyin a very little camera in a small little box
all for the price of 6 d when i was a ittle kid i ran all the way back
To king edwards rd spring hil to show my mother this tiny little camera
my sister seen it and she wanted one so i had to go back and get another
one for her this would have been in the early fifties
by the way a great cracking little picture of the flat
give my regards to tom ;
enjoy your day ; astonian ;

Can someone give me the proper street name for The Flat. We get quite a few rare photo books of Birmingham over here in Wolverhampton. A premises number or the junction of another road would be helpful.

hi richie
its called lodge rd and its on the juntion of ickneild street hockley
and key hill [ hockley brook ]
it was the main strip of the shopping area of lodge rd
it as been called the flat bye gererations of tennants in the area
of the surrounding houses because lodge rd is mainly a hill from end of it to
the other end
it starts from winson green rd passing the side of the prison walls down
passing the mental hospital known as all saints which goes down hill
and the roads starts to climb againwith a slight twist in in and then it goes
down again to a long stretch of road with all the shops on the straight
we have a was once a very busy shopping area which now is run down now
any way so to us brummies whom was raised up and around the surrounding
areas have leart from our previous generation of fore fathers whom they
named the flat because of that reason its the only flat part of lodge rd
and it comes under hockley brook . best wishes astonian;;

Thanks for that Astonian. For my day job I have a special research worker's pass to study at the University of Wolverhampton and find their archives can at times be very useful. I can't guarentee this exact location will crop up on my next visit but will keep it in mind when I next get back into the town centre from Monday onwards.

Richie.

Woolies on the Flat was a smashing shop. I used to buy so much there that couldn't be found anywhere else. All the good used to be in rows on the counter...magic. This would be late 1950's. Most Saturday's I would go down there and have tea and toast in the little cafe near by. Does anyone think that 'Wilkinson's' seem to be taking off where Woolies left?

I had the hairdressers opposite Mytons the butchers and the Griffins green grocers, The name of my shop was Dubarry's and there was a boutique next door owned by mother and daughter, the daughters name was Pat. I used to do almost all the shop keepers hair and just down the rd towards was it key hill there was a pub forgot the name but the lady that run it used to bring her wig in for me to do. It always had bird seed in, later i found out she used to put it on the bird cage when she went to bed.
I loved my days down there i could write a book. happy days

I remember Walter Smiths Butchers the most
and of course the Woolly Gurls aswell hehehe
ragga .....

It looks so small in the photo but I remember it as being a huge place because I was only small myself. I remember Woollies selling the warm peanuts and cashews, yum!

Harborne

hi richie
its called lodge rd and its on the juntion of ickneild street hockley
and key hill [ hockley brook ]
it was the main strip of the shopping area of lodge rd
it as been called the flat bye gererations of tennants in the area
of the surrounding houses because lodge rd is mainly a hill from end of it to
the other end
it starts from winson green rd passing the side of the prison walls down
passing the mental hospital known as all saints which goes down hill
and the roads starts to climb againwith a slight twist in in and then it goes
down again to a long stretch of road with all the shops on the straight
we have a was once a very busy shopping area which now is run down now
any way so to us brummies whom was raised up and around the surrounding
areas have leart from our previous generation of fore fathers whom they
named the flat because of that reason its the only flat part of lodge rd
and it comes under hockley brook . best wishes astonian;;

My initial searches for this exact location coming up a zero unfortunately. one or two other interesting photos of Birmingham though.

I had the hairdressers opposite Mytons the butchers and the Griffins green grocers, The name of my shop was Dubarry's and there was a boutique next door owned by mother and daughter, the daughters name was Pat. I used to do almost all the shop keepers hair and just down the rd towards was it key hill there was a pub forgot the name but the lady that run it used to bring her wig in for me to do. It always had bird seed in, later i found out she used to put it on the bird cage when she went to bed.
I loved my days down there i could write a book. happy days

Patty were you the end by Ford Street?

Carolynn, i was nearer Park rd I had a boutique one side and a bookies the other, Woollies was on the opposite side to me about 8 shops up, Scrivens the bakery was on the same side but at the other end from me. When i came out of the shop if i turned left it would take me home up park rd to the top then right into factory rd were I lived for 2 yrs

Last edited:
Morning

If its where I think it is there was a big shop on the corner to the left of you which would be where the zebra crossing was??

I think there was ,if you walked down from scrivans you would pass a chemist then dress shop then me then bookies, with griffins the big greengrocers opposite

Yes I thought it was where you say. My mom used to have her hair 'set' there every week. I had extremely long hair and I had it cut and permed there in the 50's.

Back