• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

woodman inn ballsall heath

rickyd

proper brummie kid
Hi there am new to this forum so hello to all

I dont know if anyone can help i am looking for information on The Woodman Edward Road balsal heath.
My great granddad was listed as a beer retailer there ion the 1911 census,I have been trying to find out the brewery but have had no success could anyone suggest where to start.
I live in Kent so not easy to access Birmingham Library

Hi rickyd

I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the Woodman, all I can think is it must have closed before I was old enough to drink (or looked old enough) or that it had a strict landlord that wouldn't allow me in. I drank in all the other pubs in Edward Rd but have little or no memory of this one.

As I can see from this photo, it was on the corner junction of Lincoln Street and Edward Rd and I can also see that it was an Ansells house. I also think it was not a very big pub. The street number of the pub was 183 and in 1913 it was listed in Kelly's as Harry Cole beer retailer.

If you look at the photo on the right you will see a bus exiting Lincoln Street into Edward Rd. You can just make out the Ansells sign on the corner building, that is the Woodman Inn.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Edward Rd by Mary St.jpg
    Balsall Heath Edward Rd by Mary St.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 15
Phil
It was still listed in the directory in 1973. I can't remember it though I took a lot of photographs in the area.
mike

Mike

I just can't think of a reason why I would never have used it. I drank in every other pub in the area and that road in particular. All I did around 1963-1964 was to frequent all the coffee bars and pubs in Edward Rd. Its strange why this pub has not registered in my memory.

Phil

Hi phil
Thanks for that and the picture,Iknow my great grandfather run a few pubs over the years with his wife Their names were Charles Dale and Emily they both came from Perry Barr. Ansells Brewery was a name i heard from a young age,but i know it has now closed down for some years ,now i know it was a Ansells house i will try and contact someone about it .Ihave found his name in other Kelly directories up to the 1930's and on my grandfathers marriage certificate his father was a licensed victualler.
Thanks for your help
Rick

Hi Rick

I found another photo of the Woodman. It looks like it was being renovated at the time of this photo. Which has to before c1953 because of the tram. I was right about it being a small pub as you can see.

Phil

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Lincoln Rd Edward Rd .jpg
    Balsall Heath Lincoln Rd Edward Rd .jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 18
Cheers thanks for that it does look rather small don't it? i take from your reply that the trams were removed from 1953 onwards.
Would you be able to tell me if the Birnmingham archives would have details of licensed victualler of the area,iam thinking of travel up to the area to do some searching and as my great grandfather seemed to have had a few pubs in his time i was wondering if i could find the info there .

Regards Rick

Rick

You could try tracing the name C.Dale in the trade directories in the years up to your granddad's death. The meagre few directories I have would not be of great use.

If you were to ask someone like mikejee nicely he might be able to do it for you. I can tell you that your granddad wasn't listed at the Woodman in 1913 or in 1937. There was a C Dale listed as a Beer Retailer at Farm St in 1913 and at Whitehead Rd in 1937. The next year I could check for you would be 1950 would that be too late?

Phil

Phil
I thought i posted a note , but must have pressed the wrong button. Your last picture is labelled woodman, edward road, but i think the picture must be taken from edward road, looking up lincoln road
rick
I'll have a look for you in the directories. Could you tell me what year he died, so i know how far to go.
Mike

Mike

It was I would think taken from the corner of Hallam St and Edward Rd looking up Lincoln St towards Cox St West. On the other side of the road you can just see the building firm that I can't remember the name of now. Where my father served his plumbing apprenticeship.

Phil

Rick
Here are ones I found in the various years
1903 , 1904
Dale Charles, beer retailer, 61 Bartholomew street (In 1937 this is listed as “The Waggon & Horses”)
Nothing for Charles or Emily
Dale Charles, beer retailer, 183 Edward rd. Balsall heath
Dale Charles beer retailer 327 Farm St (listed in 1937 as “The Fountain”)
No mention of a Charles or Emily related to the licensed trade
1932 and 1933
Dale Charles, beer retailer, 20 Washwood Heath rd. Saltley (1937 listed as a florist)
1936, 1937
Dale Chas. beer retlr. 21 Whitehead rd. Aston Manor 6
1938,1939, 1940, 1943, 1944
No Charles or Emily Dale related to the licensed trade
mike

Hi mikegee
Really sorry i missed your last post i dont wish to appear ignorant.
I have been trying to find a death for Charles and the most appropriate one is 1937,unfortunately i come from one of those families that for one reason or another the past is not spoken of so it has been back to basics in my search.
Thanks for all that info from the directories they will be a great help hopefully

Thanks again
Rick

Hi there am new to this forum so hello to all

I dont know if anyone can help i am looking for information on The Woodman Edward Road balsal heath.
My great granddad was listed as a beer retailer there ion the 1911 census,I have been trying to find out the brewery but have had no success could anyone suggest where to start.
I live in Kent so not easy to access Birmingham Library

hi there. i've found a photo of the woodman, edward st. my sister and her husband were the managers there up until about 1973

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Woodman Edward Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Woodman Edward Rd.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 15
Back