• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wood? Blind match seller in Birmingham.

I've been lurking on this thread out of interest - just wanted to say what a brilliant piece of detective work!
Well done :)
as with any family research sparks it can only be done if the records are there to search..in this case the newspapers have once again proved invaluable in that it nails family speculation..it seems that poor austin was just in the wrong place at the wrong time

lyn

Very sad indeed.
Just out of interest a bit more help from all of you (just like a dog with a bone me :grinning: .

Frederick smith was found not guilty of murder, I can understand that, but in 1952 was there law of manslaughter because his actions were responsible for Austins death.
and
the case against Smith for attempted suicide was left on file. Reading the newspapers every day of people, often 'celebrities', who have attempted suicide is this law still in place.

Oh. crikey here we go again .Lyn this is worse than your Enos.

Austin Browns parents were Thomas Joseph Brown and Sarah Bradley. on the 1921 census,(thank you lyn) Sarah says she is a widow, son leslie says father dead.
Well there was a great resurrection by 1939 because Austin Brown is with both his mother and father thomas joseph in Gt. Brook street.

Austin Browns parents were Thomas Joseph Brown and Sarah Bradley. on the 1921 census,(thank you lyn) Sarah says she is a widow, son leslie says father dead.
Well there was a great resurrection by 1939 because Austin Brown is with both his mother and father thomas joseph in Gt. Brook street.
i think the address on the 39 is 6/22 gt colmore st alberta...however you are correct that austins father is on the 39 but on the 21 it says he is dead...could be an error on the 21 or the 39...think we need to try and find a death for dad thomas joseph brown...surely this cant be more difficult than my enos...or can it :D :D

lyn

I had noticed that but was going to check to see what was happenng.

something odd...there is a probate for 1941 for a thomas joseph brown but probate granted to elizabeth hadley brown widow ?

lyn

Might not be relevant but she died in 1942.
why i found it odd jan that as alberta said thomas joseph brown married sarah bradley...maybe she also had elizabeth in her name but prefered to be called sarah

lyn

Elizabeth Hadley Brown and Thomas Joseph Brown are listed on the eroll at 285 Maryvale Road from at least 1920 through to 1939 on erolls. So I think this might be a different person.
Just doing some checking.

Elizabeth Hadley Brown and Thomas Joseph Brown are listed on the eroll at 285 Maryvale Road from at least 1920 through to 1939 on erolls. So I think this might be a different person.
Just doing some checking.
ok jan...just looking at marr cert 1903 for a thomas thomas joseph brown which says he married sarah bradley no mention of the name elizabeth..the marriage was at quinton which is where austin is buried..

Last edited:
on the 1921 census it gives an address of
1679580989514.png
On 1918 absent voters eroll we have
1679581033045.png
Wilkes Buildings are listed under Moiliett Street.
I wonder if he was posted missing which is why Sarah put widow on 1921 census. Then he turned up.

In 1922 there is also this entry - think there was a son called Thomas Joseph on one of the censuses.
1679581255349.png

1922 eroll second terrace Moilliett Street
1679582404602.png

So I think Thomas Joseph in dragoon guards is the son but Sarah is listed with Thomas.

Just discovered Wilkes Building became Second Terrace between 1920 and 1922 erolls.
1920 entry shows Thomas and Sarah Brown.
So why is he not on the 1921 census?

Last edited:
By 1925 there was another name change Second Terrace became Rutland Square but at number 6 we have
1679582676071.png
They had gone by 1927.

Fairly certain of changes of address because in every eroll they are listed immediately after 115

on the 1921 census it gives an address of
View attachment 178755
On 1918 absent voters eroll we have
View attachment 178756
Wilkes Buildings are listed under Moiliett Street.
I wonder if he was posted missing which is why Sarah put widow on 1921 census. Then he turned up.

In 1922 there is also this entry - think there was a son called Thomas Joseph on one of the censuses.
View attachment 178757
Odd thing is neither of those numbers seem to fit on the medal cards on Ancestry. 392107 is a Thomas J Brown but an address is given in Guernsey.

and as you have already told me jan thomas and sarah are together on the 1930 erolls...living at monument road which is a continuation of icknield port road which is where they are on the 1911..certainly moved around a bit..ive not heard of moillett st..must look that one up

lyn

All thoughts in my head, could Thomas be in prison in 1921 or could someone be 'after' him. so they have said he is dead.
I thought we might have another Enos on our hands as when Thomas married Sarah in 1903 the certificate says Bachelor but on 1911 eldest son Thomas Joseph was born 1898.
Does my daughter in law know what she has started here :D :D :D

All thoughts in my head, could Thomas be in prison in 1921 or could someone be 'after' him. so they have said he is dead.
I thought we might have another Enos on our hands as when Thomas married Sarah in 1903 the certificate says Bachelor but on 1911 eldest son Thomas Joseph was born 1898.
Does my daughter in law know what she has started here :D :D :D
My thoughts as well - I have just been trying to see if you can find Winson Green Prison on the 1921 as I wondered if he was in prison.

I think it is the right lot on the erolls as it ties in with the address on the 1921 transcript.

and as you have already told me jan thomas and sarah are together on the 1930 erolls...living at monument road which is a continuation of icknield port road which is where they are on the 1911..certainly moved around a bit..ive not heard of moillett st..must look that one up

lyn
It is somewhere near the Dudley Road so in same area. Almost opposite Rotten Park Road
1679586569557.png

Last edited:
The birth was registered as Thomas Joseph Brown with mmn Bradley.
just looking at a bapt 1897/8 for a thomas william brown not thomas joseph...parents thomas joseph and sarah brown..? could be an error on the written bapt though

lyn

just looking at a bapt 1897/8 for a thomas william brown not thomas joseph...parents thomas joseph and sarah brown..? could be an error on the written bapt though

lyn
I saw that but it gives father's occupation as "cab driver" I think.
1679594546624.png

Back