• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WMPTE Bedford Towing Lorry

horsencart

master brummie
Does anyone know the reg number of this WMPTE towing lorry https://www.flickr.com/photos/transport_photos/6466415791/
I have tried to find it in my PSV stuff but it aint there, this type of towing is no longer done, and as you will see Edgbaston St has changed a bit since I shot the film in the early 1980,s and all the traffic now goes in the opposite direction, the Fleetline that the lorry is towing is or was KON301P or fleet number 6301

I can't read the number on it either nor do I have details to hand i'm afraid. That's quite a small lorry to be towing such a heavy bus. 6301 had a Leyland engine from new but later gained a Gardner. Seeing as it was being towed it probably still had the Leyland engine at that stage!!

I think it is "EVP (2 numbers) L".
These lorries replaced the pre-war Daimler COG5 bus chassis with lorry bodies, and were far too light for towing. Concrete blocks were loaded in the back to stop the rear end sliding about, and they regularly broke rear axle half shafts when towing.

Thanks Lloyd I have just uploaded footage of the WMPTE Foden 108 towing a dead Metrobus at the 1980 NEC Motor Show

I think it is "EVP (2 numbers) L".
These lorries replaced the pre-war Daimler COG5 bus chassis with lorry bodies, and were far too light for towing. Concrete blocks were loaded in the back to stop the rear end sliding about, and they regularly broke rear axle half shafts when towing.

The Fodens all but replaced the Bedfords, but are now gone themselves. Breakdown recoveries are now handled by outside contractors, at £400-800 a time, dependant on equipment required to do the recovery. No wonder bus fares are so high - and going up again!

that was the lorry we had when i was a mechanic at liverpool st garage, although i cant tell you the registation of it
it ma ybe me in the bus we where always recovering thm

also at https://www.flickr.com/photos/11994036@N00/2481619430
it shows a clearer picture and says it is Bedford 108 (by then Q233VOE

The original Bedford TK lorries, being too light, were replaced by the 108s which were heavier, stronger and 4x4. In the picture zircon links to, you can make out the fron axle differential underneath the TK-style cab. They could do tow-in recovery (the Fodens were capable of lifting buses in cases of failed axles, or to right overturned buses) and be used as normal lorries, for spares collection etc.

Back