• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton and Aston Barber Shops

robb128

master brummie
Shop in Manor Rd think he was called JONES had my locks cut on way home from school to Tame rd where i lived.MR WEAVER had shop at the bottom end of Tame road in late 50s went to Billy Stoker in Electric av till i went in army
robb128

I remember a barbers shop in yew tree road that sold things that I didn't understand when i was a kid. Jean.

Hey Jean, where we going with thiis??
I remember a barbers shop in Aston Road between Dartmouth Street and Hubert Street. It was quite close to Hubert St next to the paper shop (newsagent). I can picture the barber holding the mirror behind my head to show me my Boston Square. Now Jean, don't get excited - it was the name of a hairstyle in the early 60s!!

HI Jean ,
When I Was In My Youth I Was A Smart And Handsome And I Could Pull A
Bird Or Two And I Used To Use The Barber At The Witton Island ,I Cannot Think What The Name Of The Road At The Moment ,It s The One That Takes You The Birchfield Rd , Handsworth Way It Was Just As You Approach Witton Island Where The No Five Bus Stops And TheDrivers Would Go In And Have A Cup Of Tea Whilst Waiting For The Clock Or Change Over If You Were To Walk To The Island Turn Left And Thats Where The Barbers Was There Was A Young Fella And A Old Man I Used To Have The Young Fella To Cut My Hair The Cut I Used To Have Was Called The Colledge Boy Hair Cut
He Done A Very Good Job Then One Day I Went He Had Left So I Did,nt Go Any more
And Then After Searching Around For Miles I Found A Cracking Barber And I Have Never Been Any WHERE Else Since , The Barber I Used Today Is The One I Found Over AT The Pelam By Bordwsley Green For The Last Thirty Years Even Now I Travell To B,ham To Get My Nut Done By Him And His Name Is Phil Lynch By Madonalds Bordesley Green ,Cracking Barber If He Was To Leave Tommorrow I Don,nt Know What I Will Do
Phil Lives In Sutton , But He Said If He Ups Sticks He Will Give Me His Forewading Address, Have A Nice Day Jean , ASTONIAN [ ALAN ]

Alan I know where you meen there was a ladies hairdressers there too where I used to go if I was too idle to go to Patty on the Lichfield road. We used to call my on teesy weezy but can't remember the proper name. Will have a think and come back on that one. Bye. Jean. Oh brain set in mine was called Richards.

Jean I think it was Richards but that was a bit up the witton not by that barba's astonion is on about, that barba's in later years was taken over as an Afro caribbean shop and I think there was a shooting there if i recall

There was a Norman Blizzard Pete and his brothers used towards the top of Witton road opposite where he lived. Jean.

There was a Barbers shop on the Witton Road just past the Billiard Room. also Bob Iverson had a shop. neasr by he was a Villa player. used to go there for my hair cuts BB

Hi Jean ,
I Think Patty Is Quite Right I Thought You Was Getting Confused With The
Barbers I Was On About It Was,nt The One At The Bus Clocking In It Was Just Around The Corner About Twenty Yards It Would Have Been About Five Or SIX Shops AROUND tHE Corner It Was An Old Man And A Young Feller, But I Forgot To Mention Was My First Hair cut My Old Man Took Me Was Across The Road At The Gallaghers
By The Horse Trough Lichfield Rd As We Lived Up The Terrace Facing Gallies And Next To Thompsons Jean Patty Do Any Of You Two Remember Goldburgs 3When They Had To Money In A Container And Send It Across The Shop To The Office And Wait For It To Come Back Through The Air On A Wire ,With Your Change ,
Have A Nice Day Girls , Best Wishes Astonian ,;; [alan ];

Astonian was it a Mr Reading who cut your hair only he worked on the Witton somewhere and had a lung condition that made it difficult for him to breathe?. He used to come to our house and cut my dad's hair. Bye. Jean.

HI JEAN
You Have Got It Spot On By The Discription Of HimThats Why I Didnt Go Back When I SeenThe Young Fella Had Gone I Ihought To Myself On Returning Theres No-way
He,s Gonna Know What A Cooledge Boy Hair Cut Looks Right So I Went Away
And Found Phils Hair Dressers At Bordesly Green , [ Phil Lynch ] And I ,ve Been Going For The Last Thirty Years Or More Thanks AgainJean For Reminding The Name Of The Witton Barbers , Best Wishes And Seanons Greeting , yeh . ASTONIAN , [ ALAN ];

not a Witton or Aston barber,but close enough;) I'm sure someone from Pype Hayes will remember SNAPES on the Tyburn Road,next door to the chip shop. the only barber I ever went to in Nechells was the one on Great Lister Street and he DID use a basin but he only charged 6p for the privilege:cry:

Jean, my sister lived next door to a barber in Yew Tree Road for many years, his name was Mr. Cox, I went in there once with my nephew, it was just his front room, and if I remember right it didn't look like a barber shop from outside. It was facing the outdoor.

Astonian, I remember Goldbergs on Lichfield Road very well, I bought some baby doll pyjamas there when I was about 16 years old, green and white stripes with lace round the collar and the 3/4 trouser legs.

I also remember Heaths a china and glass shop quite near to Goldbergs, my ex husband bought me a lovely pair of prancing china horses from there, cost about 12/6d in the 50s.

Thanks Sylvia as soon as you said the name Cox I remembered. Do you remember the Skrivens family who lived a few doors away towards the tip?. Jean.

Sorry Jean, I didn't know the Scrivens family, my sister's in laws lived at No.38 Coopers and next door was Mrs. Cooper's sister and bro -in - law the Billinghams.

Sylvia Mr and Mrs Billinghams house backed onto ours in Holte road. They used to have the most gorgeous long haired cats and Pete's mom had one of the kittens. What was Mrs Billinghams nick name think it was something like Kit. Frank had a very loud voice didn't he. I remember Mrs Morris who lived next door to them and the Coopers rings a bell. Bye. Jean.

Sylvia, Jean did you know the Jones family at No 34? I am trying to find info on them.

Mike have you their first names?. The only Jones family that comes to mind is our own Patty. Which end would 34 have been?. Jean.

The husbands name was Bert. Daughter Vera. Vera married my uncle in 1942 so perhaps before your time.
ps another daughter Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't recolect them Mike but when my brother comes back off holiday next week I will ask him. He is ten years my senior. Bye. Jean.

The two that I remember most in Aston were Bill Hemmings opposite Williams' coal wharf on Lichfield Road, and just further up on the other side was Albert Robathons who employed two other barbers, one of which was an ex- army barber called Richard Shook , who specialized in very short back and sides, I think that was the only style he was capable of.

Jack Terry had a shop on Park Lane.opposite Bertha's coal yard.

Whatever you asked for, he took everything off-- very short back and sides. I persuaded him once to leave it longer, but my dad saw me on the way home, and sent me back for a proper haircut.

Jean, Mrs. Billingham's nickname was Gish - I often thought what a strange name and found out many years later she was named Lilian and there was a silent film star Lilian Gish and that is how it came about. I don't remember her cats, but she made my wedding cake - three tier heart shaped, all the rage in 1957!!!!

Bakersboy, I remember Jack Terry, when I was a little girl I had long hair which my mother used to put in rags to give me ringlets, and my friend Mavis had quite short hair, one day she was sent to Terrys for a trim "to the tip of my ears please", I asked for the same, I was supposed to have a trim but keep my long hair, but he did as I asked and I was shorn, my mother burst into tears and was furious, my dad had to hold her back or she would have gone round and hit him I'm sure.

Sylvia I do remember that name now. My mom and dad were always having a chinwag over the back. I have a photo somewhere with their house on. Do you remember the man who used to mend their clocks and watches? That was my dad

Sylvia that's your relatives house in the back ground. That is my nan Lyndon who died before I was born. Jean.

Jean, thank you very much for that great photo of your grandma. I think Patty told me that her house backed on to my sister's house, 80 Yew Tree Road. Unfortunately my sister died in April this year, she was l0 years older than me and lived in the street for about 50 years and would have known all the people you mention.

I think Patty got mixed up as she lived over the other side of the road that backed on to Witton lane. Our side backed on to Yew tree road. Bye. Jean.

Back