• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Winson Green Prison:

pauline bailey

One of my ancestors was in Winson Green Prison on the 1881 census. Is there any way of finding out the reason and for how long he was in Prision. I know he was out by the 1891 census.

I would try the British Newspaper archive first - www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk It's free to search but there is a small charge for viewing a complete article. Both the Birmingham Gazette and Birmingham Daily Post are available. Otherwise you may be able to access other newspaper archives via your local library (possibly on-line if you have a valid library ticket number - this facility is certainly available in Birmingham and Solihull Libraries)

Hi Pauline

I can't find anything from Ancestry on their criminal records but I have found a newspaper article after the above which could be him? The address and occupation should help you decide if it is.

Birmingham Daily Post - June 2nd 1893

A Violent Assault - Robert Motterham (41), metal-roller, 3 Floodgate Street, was charged with having violently assaulted Thomas Field, 194 Francis Street, Ashted.- Prisoner committed an unprovoked assault on prosecutor on the 24th ult., and injured him severely. He was fined 50s. and costs; in default one month's imprisonment.

Suzanne

thank you for this, it would seem this is the right person. He was in Winson Green Prison on the 1881 census and back home in the 1891 census. So I am not sure this was the reason he was in prison in 1881 I think this is perhaps a second crime, as the date was June 1893.

going on this can anyone tell me how to find out where a person was in prison
im looking for a george eccles who was in prison 1901 census

Back