• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brennan Winifred B 1891

Winifred should also be on the 1939 register on FMP but I don't have a subscription. All I can see is there is a James Humphreys and 3 other people.

janice it would be useful if someone with a sub to the 1939 register could kindly do a look up for winifred ..i suspect she maybe at 138 brearley st as that is where she was in 1920 and 1955..both times no sign of her hubby

Lyn, I would love to see any photos you have of the area. I have hardly any of Gran- one of her hop picking in Martley, Worcs, my mom and dads wedding photo, and a couple of holding me when I was a baby. She died in 1974 so I have lots of lovely memories of her.

She became Winifred Marshall in 1922 when she married my Grandfather, but was widowed again in 1939.

Can I say what a marvellous job you do on this site, Lyn. You must put so much time and energy into it. Plus your love of it all really shines through.:)

Lyn, this is getting spooky-I looked at some posts about the Rose and Crown, Brearley st. Someone mentioned one of the landlords as being Kenneth Ironmonger. This is my 2nd cousin on my dad's side!

Lyn, I would love to see any photos you have of the area. I have hardly any of Gran- one of her hop picking in Martley, Worcs, my mom and dads wedding photo, and a couple of holding me when I was a baby. She died in 1974 so I have lots of lovely memories of her.

She became Winifred Marshall in 1922 when she married my Grandfather, but was widowed again in 1939.

Can I say what a marvellous job you do on this site, Lyn. You must put so much time and energy into it. Plus your love of it all really shines through.:)

hi lynn many thanks for your kind words but it must be said that there are some pretty fantastic members on this forum who are only to willing to help anyone with their family research especially when brick walls are hit and praise must also go to them.in my opinion you will not find a better birmingham history forum on the net..i really cant believe that a rellie of yours ran the rose and crown...we must try and find out when this was...your poor nan did not have much luck in marriage did she but she sounds as though she was a lovely lady..not willing to give up easily either..here are 2 photos of bomb damage to the rose and crown and also the large crater it left in the middle of hospital st...also pic of the coronation celebrations outside the rose and crown..i am hoping your nan could be on it..as said earlier your nans house in brearley st could have been no more than 30 feet away from where the bomb dropped as you will see the rose and crown was badly damaged but in true brummie spirit they repaired it and started pulling pints again:D:D..the little shop on the other corner was a chippy...hope you find them of interest lynn ps just noticed i have posted on pic twice..will sort that out later

lyn

rose and crown coronation celebrations 1953.jpg rose and crown pub bomb damage 1940.jpg rose and crown pub corner of brearley st and hospital st 1940.jpg rose and crown coronation celebrations 1953.jpg

Last edited:
Kenneth is listed in the electoral rolls as being at the Rose & Crown in 1960 & 1962

thanks for confirming when kenneth was the landlord mike....lynn you will not believe this...i also have this photo of the rose and crown guessed it was taken round about the 60s looking at the cars at the side but now we can date it for certain... but look above the door..the name of the landlord is kenneth ironmonger:eek: what a result for you:):) if you save it to your computer and zoom in you will be able to read it..failing that if you click on it it should enlarge

lyn

brearley st west no 16.jpg

Last edited:
me again lynn...i have just re read your post no 22 when you said

so i am bit confused lynn because if she re married in 1922 and became a marshall how come she is down on the 1955 electoral register as winifred humphries ??:eek: i am still having problems getting onto ancestry so at the min i cant double check the e rolls

lyn

Last edited:
I wondered about that and thought it might be a relative. Lyn - I will check if I can when I put laptop on. Also did a quick check for Marshall but hadn't found them when I had to stop.
Have now checked and can't find a 1955 entry for Winifred Humphreys.

Last edited:
janice i think we will have to hope that lynn can shed some light on the mystery...maybe i have wrongly assumed that winifred was living at 138 brearley st through the war years and we do know she was born there as lynn has her birth cert...i do have a winifred humphreys at that address in 1920 but now i am confused about finding a lady of the same name living there in 1955...fingers crossed lynn can advise us

lyn

I have been using the MHD electoral rolls. Found no reference at all to 138 Brearley st from 1939 on. The 1950 map seems to show just factories where it was before
map c 1950 middle Brearley st.jpg

thank mike and knowing the area pretty well i did think that no 138 would have been gone before 1955...it could be i have made an error on the 1955 e roll look up trouble is i am still having problems getting back onto it so that i can check...hopefully when lynn reads all the previous posts she will be able to tell us if her gran was living in acocks green in 1930...think i will leave it until she can advise us in case i mess it up further:D

lyn

Lyn - try deleting the browsing history for yesterday and today then try Ancestry again. It is as if some sites get stuck in a "no access" mode until you clear things. I couldn't find Brearley Street in 1955 so not sure what you found!!

hi janice this is how nontechnical i am...how do i delete my browser history lol...how i have got by for so long i will never know:eek:

If you use Chrome then click on the 3 dots (top right next to address bar) and then on the word history. The the word history
upload_2018-1-12_12-52-39.png
Then clear browsing data - it should default to last 24 hrs. Then clear data. Wait until it finishes. Close screens down and try Ancestry again. If that fails then I DON'T KNOW!!!!

thanks janice if i cant do it i shall ask my son tonight to take a look....

lyn

Back to the thread. In 1939 I have found a Winifred Marshall and a Winifred Humphries living at 1 back 46 Hatchett Street - is this too much of a coincidence?

Just done a search for possible children of Winifred and Thomas - found several possibles. Mother Brennan and surname Humphreys - Winifred born 1911, Olive 1913, Thomas 1915 and Helen 1918. Then after her marriage to Frank in 1922. Frank J in 1922, Irene J in 1928, Aimee K in 1929, Marie 1924, Mary 1926, Frank E 1932 all have Mother's name as Brennan. Perhaps Lynn can confirm or otherwise these as we then might find them on e rolls with Winifred.

Last edited:
Back to the thread. In 1939 I have found a Winifred Marshall and a Winifred Humphries living at 1 back 46 Hatchett Street - is this too much of a coincidence?

yes too much of a coinsidence janice hatchet st is next to brearley st so we are in the right area and lynn said winifred was widowed again in 39..again we need lynns advise on this info...i think one of the later children you have found is still alive..lynn said there is one surviving that she talks to by the way is that the 39 eve of war register or the 39 e roll.. this has o be the newly widowed winifred marshall living with her daughter winifred humphries from first marriage

lyn

Last edited:
Back