• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windermere Rd Park/ground Saved

I have just noticed that on the 1916 map there is already a pavilion on the section of land now known as Pickwick. I am just wondering how early the land was given over for public use?

IMG_1760.jpg

"No one knew about this until work started on 5 April. I had to step in and stop the work on site."

Morturn it seems they did things differently in 1939 when you had 21 days to object!

Pickwick is the name of the Hockey team.

If it is Pickwick then it is the pitch nearer Wake Green Road which is separate from the land we are talking about. This land has been run as a council parks pitch used variously for football, cricket, rugby and also school athletics.

There is a newspaper article (which I can't access fully) about the death of a well known sportsman Mr William Foster of "M.... Vailey" the date of the article is Friday 24th April 1914 (Birmingham Daily Gazette) . Also a couple about his funeral dated 28th April 1914 (Birmingham Daily Post). Another Evening Despatch dated 23rd April 1914 also Birmingham Mail of the same date. In fact there seem to be lots of articles - matches were cancelled in mourning - could he be the man giving the land? I can't seem to fnd anything about his will.

There's another wealthy Foster (Arthur Henry) who lived in the locality who, amongst other things, owned a lot of land, built cottages, set up a trust (Gracewell), bequeathed a recreation ground to the City of Birmingham in 1928/9. Maybe he was a relation of the Mel Valley family. Link is here.
https://gracewell.org.uk/arthur-henry-foster.html

Viv.

I am still trying to follow the William Foster link. As far as I can tell his widow lived on at Mel Valley until her death in 1944 but the contents of the Mel Valley stud seem to have been auctioned off in 1914 soon after William's death. I have also found a reference in October 1915 in the Birmingham Mail to "Moseley Volunteer Training Corps" meeting at "New Ground, Windermere Road". I wonder if this is the ground we are looking at now?

For anyone wondering about the name Leasowes, it apparently means pasture land/feeding grounds.
There is a large area in the Wirral called Leasowes.

Well this tread is getting incredibly interesting. I always say that history propagates, the deeper you look, the more of the past is revealed, taking you in many directions.

I am wondering if it was just William Fosters’ stud business that was sold off? From the accounts I have seen, it seems like his stud farm have a good reputation.

It’s also interesting that William Foster was father of F.R Foster, the captain of Warwickshire Country Cricket team, and a keen sportsman himself.

Last edited:
For anyone wondering about the name Leasowes, it apparently means pasture land/feeding grounds.
There is a large area in the Wirral called Leasowes.

There are mentions in the Inclosure lots, for the area somewhere around where we are looking, of a few fields called Leasowes. For example Great, Brierly, Far and Near Leasowes. It could be from these fields that the house for sale in 1843, or some other, became known as The Leasowes.

I think it needs a visit to the Tythe map to pinpoint the are under threat, which is looking to be associated with Mel Valley.

I am still trying to follow the William Foster link. As far as I can tell his widow lived on at Mel Valley until her death in 1944 but the contents of the Mel Valley stud seem to have been auctioned off in 1914 soon after William's death. I have also found a reference in October 1915 in the Birmingham Mail to "Moseley Volunteer Training Corps" meeting at "New Ground, Windermere Road". I wonder if this is the ground we are looking at now?

I think the New Ground, Windermere Road could be one of the two big fields with the frontage to that road. If it is then it would be above the older house The Leasowes, and Mel Valley first appears on the 1903 OS Map.

Great photo Pedro. Must have been a sad day for the Fosters selling off their renowned stud. Although being 1914 would this have had anything to do with requistioning horses for WW1? Viv.

I have found a further reference to the sale of Mel Valley in the estate of Mrs Mary Ann Price of Four Oaks. It was in March 1944. At the moment I can't find the link with Elizabeth Foster but wonder if these were the two old ladies.

It looks as if the sale of part of Windermere Road Playing Field has been stopped! Ad hoc meeting arranged on the field with 50-60 furious residents made Counc. Trickett very aware of the strong feelings against "selling off" part of the field. Well done Morturn.

Welcome Superdad. Thanks for the update. And well done Mort - good to hear. Viv.

Just heard there was a meeting at Attock earlier this week. No building but plans for an artificial wicket!!

Attachments

• Windermere fields.JPG
    Windermere fields.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 23
Hi pjmburns,
Can you tell us more? Was the meeting the Springfield Ward meeting? If so, very worrying as Coun. Trickett [chair for sport etc,] promised that full consultation would take place at a public meeting which would be widely advertised before anything was decided.

Unfortunately the Playing Field is [just] in Springfield Ward although in Moseley. The cricket club seem to have the ear of the ward Chairman who is I believe involved with the cricket club. This field is of much wider interest than "Springfield". Incidentally the Springfield Ward Minutes are full of misleading and downright incorrect information in relation to the field!

All I know is that a neighbour of mine seemed to know of a meeting with Issy Knowles at Attock last Monday - he said it was about security. He was unable to go as were my husband and myself. I used google and found Issy Knowles twitter feed (I don't have twitter or any other social media but could read it). When I scrolled down to Jun 12th I found the two tweets I posted in #48 and #49. I am about to email Coun. Trickett to see if I can find out more.

I should have said that Issy Knowles is, I think, a local police officer so the security comment makes sense.

I have had a reply from Coun. Trickett. She states that it was not a BCC meeting, although she was aware of it, and she is not sure what the consultation is about as she has checked with colleagues and there is no plan for an artificial wicket. She is going to check with colleagues who did attend and see what was said.

Last edited:
Just to update..............

At the Moseley Forum meeting held on 26 July we were informed that in spite of massive objections and public meetings the Springfield Ward Councillors had already submitted a bid to BCC to take over the field. We were told that the bid would be presented to BCC Cabinet meeting the next day! The bid was misleading and downright dishonest.

BUT the Moseley Ward councillors sprang into action and by the next morning the bid to take over the field had been "withdrawn". Well done Moseley councillors.

Hopefully, that is the end of the matter. Next year the new ward boundaries come into effect and Windermere Field will then be in Moseley Ward.

A real example of grass roots action at work! Everyone involved deserves a vote of thanks for standing up to Springfield shinanicans.

PS: not sure this is history but thought folks might like to know what happened.

Yes, a good day work by everyone, thank you for your support in this matter.

Landscape plays an important part of our heritage, in fact as much as the historic buildings that we strive to preserve. Parks and landscape give the everyday person a well-earned break from the day to day work that took up a big chunk of people lives.

Leisure activity’s help to promote health and wellbeing and allow people to engage with each other and are therefore an important part of our historic environment.

Thanks, again.

Glad to hear it. Sounds like there was something very dubious going on. Wish something could be done by the acres of land already taken over for the pernicious occupation of golf

Moseley and Kings Heath Horse Show 1906 at 'Highbury Meadows' ( Highbury Park ).jpg

I can across this interesting photo on one a face book sites showing the Moseley and Kings Heath Horse Show 1906 at 'Highbury Meadows' (Highbury Park).

We know that William Foster, who was father of F.R Foster, the captain of Warwickshire Country Cricket team, was a keen sportsman himself and owned the well celebrated stud Mel-Valley, Moseley.

William Foster and the Mel-Valley stud had a worldwide reputation for their champion Hackney ponies, so am wondering if this may be a photo of one of the Mel-Valley ponies?

What an excellent history, Superdad3, and thanks for posting it. And belated thanks to Mort, Janice, Pedro, Mike, and all the others who helped to bring this bit of public asset-stripping to an end. Superb work and thank you.

Maurice

Apparently there as a windmill on the fields years back seen in David Cox's notebook.27657965_10155337744282475_5940469558693376161_n.jpg

Back