• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wills - Download From Gov.uk

GeorgieG

master brummie
COPY OF A WILL download service. Has anyone used the GOV.UK Find a Will service which was available in December 2014? I decided to use this service and duly paid my 10 pounds fee and was told I would receive an e-mail that the DOWNLOAD would be available in approx. 10 days. I have just received the e-mail and clicked on the link which took me to the GOV UK Find a Will Page... Found that I had a Will to download. Pressed the download key but nothing is happening. Looked on HELP and have e-mailed for assistance....the e-mail goes to the operators of the management company IRON MOUNTAIN. I have 31 days to download the will from accessing the site. I can ONLY download 3 times, so do not want to press the button again as I might lose one of my downloads. Where does it download to see the WILL.. i.e. on the GOV UK site and then I have to file it on my computer OR will it show on my DESKTOP. Has anyone had any problems or is it just me?
Many thanks.. Georgie

Have you checked your 'Downloads' folder?

Yes thanks.... I have checked Downloads. I attempted another download this evening and it did send me a message to say that there was an error and that it has been reported. Fingers crossed I can access soon. So frustrating!! Thank you. George

Just to add to this thread. I did a search and found 5 family wills. The free calendar gives quite a bit of information but I decided to send for the actual wills to see what extra information they may hold. They quote ten working days (ie two weeks) but my first will took an extra day before I got the email saying it was ready. I guess they are busy because it is a new service. You then just click on the "My wills" box on the website and its all there just like an attachment to an email. You can then print, save it to your computer, or what ever you wish. Only another £40 to go. John Morris

Just to add to this thread. I did a search and found 5 family wills. The free calendar gives quite a bit of information but I decided to send for the actual wills to see what extra information they may hold. They quote ten working days (ie two weeks) but my first will took an extra day before I got the email saying it was ready. I guess they are busy because it is a new service. You then just click on the "My wills" box on the website and its all there just like an attachment to an email. You can then print, save it to your computer, or what ever you wish. Only another £40 to go. John Morris

I finally got to read the Will. There was an error and it was not activated to download. Just my luck! When the Will is going to be taken off the site "they" will e-mail you to make sure that you have saved it to your computer etc.

Georgie

I ordered on 4th December, in person, from Birmingham Probate Office copies of 3 wills and I am still waiting for them! I was told at the time of ordering they would be about 28 days but allowing for Christmas and New Year, they could take a little longer!!! I have telephoned but was told to write in with the details and the request will be traced. I am waiting for the post - wonder if I could claim interest on my £30?

Hi geofred
Where do apply for probate wills ,I was told Afewyears ago that it was in London
Is still the fact as I have a will I would life,e to get hold off indeed
My mother died years ago and when her father died it was his brother whom told her
That his will be in probate in London
Can you enlighten me please many thanks Astonian,,,,

I ordered on 4th December, in person, from Birmingham Probate Office copies of 3 wills and I am still waiting for them! I was told at the time of ordering they would be about 28 days but allowing for Christmas and New Year, they could take a little longer!!! I have telephoned but was told to write in with the details and the request will be traced. I am waiting for the post - wonder if I could claim interest on my £30?

I ordered on-line 27th December 2014 and received 8th January.. and I had an e-mail notification... I expect you have already checked your Spam. How frustrating. I was watching my "in box" every day. So frustrating that I could not open... I sent them an e-mail and re-checked and everything went well after that. Hope you are able to resolve soon. Georgie

Hi geofred
Where do apply for probate wills ,I was told Afewyears ago that it was in London
Is still the fact as I have a will I would life,e to get hold off indeed
My mother died years ago and when her father died it was his brother whom told her
That his will be in probate in London
Can you enlighten me please many thanks Astonian,,,,

You can read all about obtaining a WILL https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
or read all about it on: https://blog.eogn.com/2014/12/27/millions-of-wills-from-england-and-wales-available-online/

Hope this helps... Georgie

Hi Astonion, I visit the Probate Office in Bull Street, Birmingham, (is part of the old Lewis's Building). I'm no good with all this modern technology and would not know how to 'download' so I would rather have the will printed for me. The staff are very helpful and usually I get the copies I have ordered within 2 - 4 weeks. This time things do seem to have gone wrong, probably because of the new downloading service. It does not matter where the will was proved as Birmingham send the request on to the main office, I think is now in Leeds, and they send the copy to you. Hope this helps... geofred

His geofred
Many thanks for your replying to me so soon,and thank you for the information on how to obtain a will
Of probate I certainly will getting myself down there to old lewis,s store this week
As I have had some good information on my grand fathers will geofred I am wondering. Whether or not to asked a question
A question regarding my grand mother's left a will as well as I do not k ow whether she did or not
I know the place of death and the date of death but I do not know whether she did or not leave one,
Or may be does the husband Autmaticly get her wealth if she had some or may be she never left one
Would the people tell me whether there was a will made and left or what can you advise please
Many thanks again, Alan,,,,,Astonian''''

Back