• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Williamson.

TimS

Brummie babby
Has anyone got any info on Mrs S Williamson of 49 Selly Park Road circa 1928 please.
Bought a new Rolls Royce in 1928 which was bodied by Messrs Flewitt & Co coachbuilders of Birmingham. I have looked at the houses in Selly Park Rd and they don't look like 'RR' houses! Perhaps they have been altered since then? Also see my previous enquiry in 2006 re Charles (C E A) Flewitt cousin to the above coachbuilders and thanks to those who responded then although any further information on him or any descendants of the family would still be of interest.

Sarah Elizabeth Williamson (nee Brown), was the wife of Arthur, who was a licensed victualler. The house was named Newlyn.
They were born in Wednesbury and Arthur started out as a Bricklayer, progressing to builders manager before entering the licensed trade.
They lived a couple of doors down from the St Paul's Convent.Their son,Cyril born 1894, was, for a time, a boarder at Solihull Grammar School.
Arthur died 28th February,1917 and he had effects of £135.00. In 1922, Thomas Edkins, former licensee of the Coach and Horses, Mary Street was living at the same address
Sarah died in about 1950.

Thank you for all that information. On the surface doesn't seem a likely candidate for purchase of a new Rolls Royce with limousine bodywork by Flewitt.

Ladylinda: Did a bit more research following on from your excellent info; Unfortunately Cyril was killed in WW1. I would think then that the houses in Selly Park Rd have since been re-numbered.
Possibly re-developed if Newlyn was a big property in those days. No 49 today appears to be a semi. Arthur's £135:00 wouldn't have gone far towards a new RR even in 1928! Many Thanks. TCS.

Hi,they could possibly have been renumbered. They moved into Selly Park Rd between 1901 and 1911.
In 1911 they had a live-in servant and 4 year old niece living with them.It was stated they had 9 rooms including the kitchen.
It must have cost a few bob to send Cyril to Solihull Grammar as a boarder, until he was at least 17.
They had another child Kathleen in 1914, and Thomas Edkins moved in for a couple of years after Arthur's death.
According to info on the net, the average house on Selly Park Rd is worth £370,965,today.

Good morning everyone, my name is Ralph and I'm the new owner of the Rolls Royce, formerly owned by Sarah Williamson. I am now trying to research her history from new and naturally am starting with her original Owner, also all I can about her as well as the coachbuilders Flewitts, I came across this site on a Google search,I'm very impressed with what I've seen and I can see that I'll be spending some time looking at the various records here. Hopefully I'll have a day in Birmingham to look round at Sarah's address and where the coachbuilders were. I found that the car was supplied through George Heaths motors also, I thank you all in advance.

Not all that relevant but Sarah's brother appears to have been living at the Selly Park address when he unfortunately drowned while on holiday in Rhyl in 1948.

Hi,many thanks for the information, sad as it may be though, it would be nice when I get up to Birmingham, to walk past the house where the car lived, it's just how I am,I do like to obtain as much history as I can. I see that there is so much on here to learn on all my various Birmingham related items,thanks again for your help.

Hi,many thanks for the information, sad as it may be though, it would be nice when I get up to Birmingham, to walk past the house where the car lived, it's just how I am,I do like to obtain as much history as I can. I see that there is so much on here to learn on all my various Birmingham related items,thanks again for your help.
hi ralph i take it that you have already found out that the house where the car once lived is still there

lyn

hi ralph i take it that you have already found out that the house where the car once lived is still there

lyn

lyn
Hi Lyn, no I have no idea as yet regarding the present status of the house, I have only just found this great forum,I intend to see what I can research on anything regarding my car and associated people and business connections,plus driving up to look round.

Sarah is buried at Wood Green Cemetery with her husband (and son ?).

In 1939 she was with her daughter, Kathleen, and her husband in Rolleston-on-Dove. Kathleen may have emigrated to Canada in 1949 with her daughter April.
Hi MWS, that's very interesting indeed, I'll have to take the mascot with me off the car and place it on her gravestone to let her know it's being looked after,thanks for the information.

Back