• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Thomas Messenger

natty

knowlegable brummie
Hi I am searching for the above born 11.3.1901, inBirmingham I believe his mther was Elizabeth Jane Griffiths and father Edward William Messenger (born approx 1878) and he had a brther born 1910 Leonard Messenger, I cant find a 1901 census for any of them and only a 1911 census for Edward Messenger who seems to be in prison. I can also find WW records for Edward Messenger in 1921. Im trying to find where they were (i assume they were birmingham still) and what they did. Anyone have any tips?

There are also a number of other Messenger/Griffiths children listed, most of them appear to die young. However there is an Edwin Messenger b1905. In 1911 he appears to be a patient in hospital and he appears on the 1930 electoral roll with Edward, Eliza and William at 40 Catherine St.

Thanks. Ii'm beinning to think that Elizabeth Jane Griffiths may have been noted as Eliza Jane Griffiths. I see that in 1911 Edward William Messenger was in Winson Green according to the census and I have found what I believe t obe their other son Edwin in the workhouse infirmary as you suggest together with, interestingly an Elizabeth Griffiths! Also William Thomas Messenger is in an institute at that time too! How do i find the prison record for Edward? Thanks v much for your help

She does appear mostly to be listed as Eliza rather than Elizabeth, though there are a number of Elizabeth/Eliza Jane Griffiths' births registered about the right time.

The prison record is on Ancestry - Birmingham Calendar 0f Prisoners.

Search Edward Messenger, birth listed as 1881. It lists 4 offences for which he was imprisoned (not including the one he's being charged with) and below them it says - and 14 summary convictions for assault.

Thanks for your help. Where did you get the information regarding the other children who died young? Thanks

Back