• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Selkirk

L

Lyndar

Three generations of my family were engravers in Birmingham from 1785 to 1885, all called William Selkirk. I would be interested to have any local info. about them, and to see examples of their work which I know are still around.
Here's hoping! Lyndar

Hi Lyndar
You may have much of this. Hopefully there is some you don’t have. Spelling as in directories:

1818 A William Selkirk was at Digby St as engraver, letter cutter, inlayer of gold etc, ornaments in steel. There was also another William Selkirk . a plater, in Aston road.
1849. Selkerk William James, engraver and letter cutter, 27, Ludgate hill; home. Villa road.
1855 . Selkirk William James, engraver and letter cutter, 4 Brook street, home Villa Road
1858. Selkirk Wm, James., letter cutter, die sinker, and seal engraver, 4, Brook st, St. Paul's; home , Portland place, Villa rd
1862. Selkirk Wm, James., letter cutter, die sinker, and engraver; 4, Brook Street, home , Portland Place.383 Bristol Road
1868 and 1872. Selkirk Wm.James, Steel punch cutter,4 Brook st. St.Paul's; home, 383 Bristol road.
1876 -1880. Selkirk Wm. James, engraver and steel punch cutter,4 Brook st. St. Paul's. home, 9 Wellington road
1883. He disappears entirely from directories

mike

Hi there Lindar,don't know whether you have the census details,but I have included them in this post for you.
In 1861 and 1871 the family were living on the Bristol Road,which I believe was quite an affluent area! I'm not sure where 383 would have been in the 1880's as it's probably been renumbered over the years!I would guess it would have been near to the Bournbrook border.At present 383 is occupied by B'ham Uni buildings,in Selly Oak,near Bournville.
I see on the 1841 census that he was an employer of 4 apprentices.
Hope this helps!

In 1880 no 383 was nearer town between speedwell road and Balsall Heath road.. The attached map is the 1910 edition, but the buildings are the same and 383 is in red.
mike

Thanks Ladylinda and mikejee,
Yes I have already got census info. thanks, but it is good to have it consolidated. I believe Brook House is now an Arts Centre. Nothing after 1883 because W.S.3 retired to Cheltenham like the rest of them. They were all brought back to be interred in the cemetry in Birmingham however.
Thanks again,

Lyndar

Back