• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WILLIAM H. MARSON, silversmith

D

derynf

I would love to find out whether a William Henry Marson was listed in the Kelly's around this date, please. In the 1901 census he is described as a silversmith by trade, living in Aston Manor (Ecclesiastical parish of Lozells St. Silas). Unfortunately, I don't have the road address, although I do know he was living at 188 Villa Street in 1915. I have, so far, been unable to find out whether he was in business for himself, or working for someone else. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure, Colin. I have come across a Frederick Marson (later F. M "and Son") who I think ran a business in the Jeweller's Quarter, but don't know whether he's related. Wm H. was an only son, and his father was a baker, then towards the end of his life, a laundryman, so he wasn't continuing a family trade.

If he worked for himself he would have had a makers mark which would have been registered at the Assay Office ( I assume Birmingham as he was living there ) The office keep a record of all marks from day one.
Try their web site giving all info you have and they may be able to help.

I've been told in another thread that the Villa Street William lived in is just off Wills Street, not very far from St. Silas. The family may already have been living in Villa Street in 1901...his sons went to King Edward Grammar School which I believe is in Frederick Road. 188 Villa Street was known as "Belgrave Cottage," so would it have been a detached or semi-detached house, do you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Villa St

Hi Derynf,:) Wendy quite right, Villa St is off the top end of Farm Street
(well whats left of Farm St ) then up Villa St to Gerrard Street (Lozells)
also Wills Rd is very near here,, This was just behind Burbury Street & quite a large recreation park, Burbury St Park, Wendy,s G/p,s shop etc

Houses around there not "back-to-back" style more long line Rows all
joined together,, no Detached (ooh la la :rolleyes:) or semis that i recall.

Derynf also note there where other K E G,s in B,ham including the
Frederick Road one,, so check which one your ppl associate with, Ok.
Cheers John Y :cool:

John...William's sons did indeed attend the one in Frederick St: Eric Marson is on their Roll of Honour Board, as he was one of the past pupils who were killed in WWI, and this is also confirmed on the Birmingham University's Virtual War Memorial site. The school was also referred to as "Aston Grammar School," apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Dont know if it is any help to you but i live in a place called Maltby and my grandfather was called William Henry Marson. He had 5 brothers a 3 sisters. He was born in 1918 and my father said there has always been confusion as to who my grandfathers real father was. My grandfather died in 1983, His family home was in maltby, However he did serve 22 years in the army.

Hi Golden Boy
That's really interesting! I don't think they're directly connected, but I discovered that William Henry Marsons were fairly common in the Birmingham area. In fact there was one born in Birmingham around the same time as 'my' William Henry, which initially caused some confusion when I was trying to trace him. (Fortunately, mine turned out to be the one born in Coventry - he married an ancestor of mine, which is how he's related.)

It wouldn't surprise me to find that your Marson is a descendant of one of the Midlands Marsons.

Back