• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Clarke, Auctioneers/Land Agents

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
I am researching William Clarke born 1811 Birmingham. In 1841 he was at - 77/78 Edmund st. Auctioneer, wife Elizabeth, Victular.
As there were other Auctioneers in the family at that time I would be interested if there were any Clarke's listed in trade directories?
Two generations of Auctioneers/Land Agents became Borough Surveyors for Birmingham Corporation and were responsible for the redevelopment of the area which became Corporation Street.............sorry folks but on the plus side there were a few Pubs.
Clarkie

Sorry cannot help on the Auctioneers, but it looks like a misspelling of victualler, wich could meen that wife Elizabeth was a licenced pub landlady

in the 1876 kellys there is a richard clarke & son, surveyors, auctioneers and rating valuers, 30 colmore row

joseph clarke, house and estate agent, 105 newhall st. & victoria rd. aston park

in 1841 pigots james clarke, house and land agent, 45 camp hill
william clarke, auctioneer, 3 edmund st.

Thanks for your interest but it was me that spelt it with one L my spell check does not like it when I put LL.
Clarkie.

Hi Shera,
Richard was the one who became Borough Surveyor. Very interested in the 1876 entry, that was the year that Richard senior died and the year his son Richard took over.
Joseph is also a family name and in the right place I will need to check him out.
Clarkie

Hi Shera,
This is the William interesting to see number 3 Edmund St. census shows 77?

Not sure about James, another one to check out.
Thanks Clarkie.

i didnt know which years you were particularly interested in.

in 1955 post office directory james clarke, house and land agent, 45 camp hill, high street, bordesley
richard clarke, auctioneer and surveyor, 58 bristol rd.
richard clarke, auctioneer and surveyor, 104 newhall st.

sorry this should read 1855!

Last edited:
1884 kellys joseph clarke, valuer and estate agent, 82 colmore row
richard clarke, parish surveyor. & boro & parish valuer, paradise st.

1829/30 wrightsons triennial directory of bham - cannot see any clarke auctioneer

1833 wrightsons triennial directory of birmingham - william clarke, auctioneer and appraiser, 12 john street.

Hi Shera,
You are a star! That's the one I was after. His Father my Gx3 grandfather, Joseph Clarke, who died shortly before that date, was the Publican who owned "the lamb & flag" at that address. That makes the link.
Many thanks Clarkie.

Shera
In addition to william Clarke at no 3 edmund st. Pigot 1841 also lists a william clarke at The Crown, 77-78 Edmund St
mike

Hi Mike,
1841 census shows William at 77 & Elizabeth Clarke at 78 Edmund Street, the way it is recorded is quite unusual.
The problem I have with both of them is nothing to be found after 1841, other than numerous possible deaths.
Do you know anything about the Crown in later years?
Clarkie

Clarkie
According to McKenna The Crown closed in 1869 after its lease expired, and was later demolished. I have searched for all the listings in the 1839 directory which list edmund St. The Crown is not included, though there are 5 victuallers or brewers in the St where the name of the establishment and thenumber are not given. None are William (or any other) Clarke. Similarly nos 77 and 78 afre not listed (only about two thirds of the listings give a number ).
In the 1845 directory, which incidently is the first (to my knowledge) to give a list of people by street, the Crown is run by a william Freeman. There seems no suitable Clarke (or Clark) but there is ;
Clarke Mrs. Elizabeth,' Angel,' 128 Hospital st
In 1849 she is still at the angel and there is also (probably different person):
Clarke Mrs. Elizabeth, beer retailer, 18 Bread street (Clark in another directory)
And
Clarke James, house & land agent, 45 Camp hill
Clarke Richard, auctioneer, land and mine surveyor, 48, Paradise street ; house,Heathfield place, Handsworth
In 1855 there are two Mrs Elizabeth Clarkes, one running dining rooms (there was a similar one at a different address in 1849) and a dressmaker, who I think is different. The angel is run by James Tyler.
The ones this year for Richard and James, Shera has already given you.
It does look to me as if William died or gave up business soon after 1841
mike

Hi Mike.
Re your last reply to my post. I received this note today from one of my cousins.

Pigot's directory 1835 - 77/78 Edmond Street, Crown Tavern, Sarah Clarke also William Clarke, Coal dealer. I remember William being mentioned in an Auctioneer capacity.
Sarah was the joint Licensee of the Lamb & Flag in John St, Dale End. Her Brother my Great x 3 Grandfather was the other person. He died in 1828.
I note from the info. received so far that William was still in John St in 1833.
Is there any chance you could check the directories you have for the Crown, Edmund St. & the Lamb & Flag, John St between 1828 & 1840. I have the census returns for both places thereafter.
Hope you can help.

Clarkie

Clarkie
I'm afraid that before 1841 I only have the Wrightson's directories, which have no street list, only a list of names. they also only occasionally name the public houses (maybe he was a quaker!) From these the only thing i can get looking for clarkes (and clarks) is:
1829 Clarke Sarah, victualler, John-st.
There was also Clarke Joseph, victualler, 19, Livery-st.. the directory would probably
Have been put together 1828, so your joseph would still be alive. Could it be him here
also? In 1845 this is the Turks Head with Richard Clarke as landlord.(Richard is there
1833 also)
1833 Clarke Sarah, vict, John-street
Clarke William, auctioneer & appraiser,12, John-street (this is the Lamb & flag )
Clarke Wm. vict. 77, Moor-st.
1839 Clarke Sarah, victualler, Legge st
Clarke William, carpenter and retail brewer, 77, Moor st
Clarke William, victualler, 95, Warstone lane
This also has Clarke William, coal dealer, Old Wharf, and there is a similar entry in
1833 except it was spelt Clark.
I realise that some of the references are different people with the same name , but haveb included them. Your rederence to a coal dealer in the Pigots directory – was that at Edmond St. if not then it could be just the same name. I have omitted several William clarkes that were not auctioneers or victuallers.Note: 85 Warstone Lane and 77 Moor st are not listed in 1845
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the info. I spent time this morning drafting a full response but the site went down as I tried to send it. I've extracted the info below from my family history notes.

In the 1818 diectory Joseph is listed as Victular, John St. and Richard, his cousin, Victular, Livery St. but in the 1820 directory Joseph & Richard are listed as Victualers, Livery St. and Sarah, his sister, Victualer, John St. Pigot's Directory of 1828, lists Joseph Clarke, Lamb & Flag, 12 Old John St.

In the 1831 Trade Directory, Although he had died two years earlier. Joseph was listed as the Joint Licensee of the Lamb & Flag, John St. with Sarah.
He was also the joint Licensee of the Turks Head, Livery St. with Richard. Richards son William took over the Turks Head and is there in 1851, he later went to The Royal Oak Inn, 7 Dudley Port, Tipton. See this months Brummagem Mag. Page 22 for Richards other son Richard.

The 1855 Directory lists the Lamb and Flag as 12 John St. Dale End.

We thought that Sarah had moved to the White Swan, Legge St. but I discounted that I think it is more likely that she went to the Crown and William took over, Sarah his Aunt may have died but there are two other possible 1841 census returns: Islington, St Thomas, Birmingham (Milliners, head Mary Clarke,possible widow of Joseph & several servants)? or Steelhouse Lane Alms House, Birmingham.

The 1835 lists William as Coal Dealer, Edmund St. Maybe he was an Auctioneer of Coal? Who knows.

Thanks for your help.

Clarkie.

Back