• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilfred Albert Littlewood (Footballer)

RRJ

Brummie Boomer
Researching Littlewood ancestors, Wilfred on the 1911 census in Erdington has his occupation as Professional Footballer.
Searching the newspapers to find his team I could only find references to W A Littlewood (Aston Villa) which I believe is
William (Bill) Littlewood (John Lerwill's website)

Did Wilfred play under a pseudonym or wishful thinking on his part when the census was populated.?

Or as a Villa fan wishful thinking on my part!!

Wilfred Albert Littlewood 1911 census (2).png

I can't imagine it being a lie. As the census was filled out by his dad it would either been his lie or Wilfred lying to his dad and him not knowing. It might simply be he never made it. Came across this reserve match...

Also (and coincidently not long posted) seems there might be a connection between your Littlewoods and these...

Many thanks MWS, confirms he did play for Villa!!

Yes, they are the same Littlewoods, thanks.

And a cricketer ? May 1914, Sports Argus….

View attachment 177679View attachment 177681
Thanks Pedrocut, but you see he is named William in your news clip not Wilfred.
Every list I've seen so far of historical Villa players William Arthur Littlewood is the only Littlewood I can find.

Literally in the last hour I have stumbled across the English National Football Archives. He is listed in there:

WAL Stats 2.png

Interesting that Wilfred and William were both full backs.
That's why I am questioning the existence of two W A Littlewoods at the club at the same time. In fact I've just
searched the English national football archive for 'Littlewood' and William Arthur doesn't exist.

Only four Littlewoods for all clubs all times.

Littlewood search.png Costs £2 for 24hrs access to this archive, been money well spent.!

Out of interest looking at his previous teams just in case there is a mention. It looks like Verity's was a works team and played at Court Lane, Erdington.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Out of interest looking at his previous teams just in case there is a mention. It looks like Verity's was a works team and played at Court Lane, Erdington.
Interesting, thanks. he played for them in 1907 at 15 years old.

Incidently the second Littlewood in that group of four (above post) George Charles is also his family.

WAL Stats 3.png

In September 1912 at the start of the season Villa reserves played Dudley and there was a Littlewood at full back. I suspect the problem here will be we only get a surname. And maybe 2 players WA !

• Appreciate
Nov 1912 AV Reserves, Littlewood returned after some weeks absence.

Dec 1912 may have played against Sheff. Utd. at Bramble Lane... Littlewood at Full back.

• Appreciate
Littlewood still in first team until at least the end of the season of 1915, and from reports up till then he seems to have been playing well.
Unfortunately no-one is called by their first name !

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Littlewood still in first team until at least the end of the season of 1915, and from reports up till then he seems to have been playing well.
Unfortunately no-one is called by their first name !
I'm surprised they are still playing with the war on.

Wilfred last played for Villa in 1914/15 season and then a gap to 1920 and in brackets Wellington Town.

According to Wikipedia between 1915-1919 competitive football was suspended and many players signed up.

interesting from the Sports Argus of September 1920 a William former Villa Player at Wellington. Maybe this should be Wilfred and the William Littlewood is a red herring ?

7398C56D-A728-494D-8B72-E9D89935DE3E.jpeg

interesting from the Sports Argus of September 1920 a William former Villa Player at Wellington. Maybe this should be Wilfred and the William Littlewood is a red herring ?

View attachment 177705
Nice bit of sleuthing Pedrocut.
This is what I am implying in my opening post, he has signed on to the clubs with his real name but publicly
wants to be known as William Arthur. Bit of a stretch I know but how else can it be explained?

Could the mention of William (Bill) Littlewood on John Lerwill's website be incorrect?
I don't think so because that same name is used on other player lists I've seen. One has birth and death dates with
locations but when checked can't be found.
I spent two days going round in circles before posting on here in hope that John L might see it and have some input.

Here's a pic of William Littlewood from the 1911-12 team photo.
9be7fa_ac31752934964dfab9fd98a46f56d802~mv2.jpg

Looking through the limited team sheets for the 1911/12 season there are mentions of a Littllewood in the reserves in October and November, also in a friendly against Celtic at the end of the season. Always at full back.

Looking through the limited team sheets for the 1911/12 season there are mentions of a Littllewood in the reserves in October and November, also in a friendly against Celtic at the end of the season. Always at full back.
Thanks Pedrocut,

I did find the playing squad for 1913, not a 6 footer amongst them.!

Athletic News 25 Aug 1913 (aston villa players).png

Back