• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WHITES IRONMONGERS ..SUMMER LANE

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
couldnt believe my eyes today....this well known ironmongers has been demolished:( not sure if it has moved elsewhere..it was like a time machine in there all the fittings were original...

lynwhites ironmongers summer lane.jpg

I think you posted a photo of it a while back with a notice in the window about closing. :(
Or have I got the wrong place?

I think you posted a photo of it a while back with a notice in the window about closing. :(
Or have I got the wrong place?
you most likely did jan....maybe i missed your post or knowing me just forgot..shame to see its gone though

lyn

Busy at min but will get on planning site in a bit.
Also think other photo was a different ironmongers now I have thought about it.

Is the big and the tiny nut and bolt still in the front window
as i said mort the building has been demolished...just waste land now...yet another piece of brum history gone.not a nut or bolt in sight:confused:

lyn

It is on the streetview of Mar 2021 but closed
Planning: 18 dec 2019 More apartments. I haven't read it all as there are 115 documents. Ref is 2019/10402/PA
Land fronting Hanley Street, Lower Loveday Street and Summer Lane Hockley Birmingham B19 3SPDemolition of existing buildings and erection of 4-8 storey development of 203 apartments with associated communal facilities, ground floor commercial facilities units (Use Classes A1, A2 and/or B1) with ancillary cycle spaces, car parking and landscaping including roof top terrace.

As Lyn said in the first post, hard to believe Whites has gone without trace. Thought it would be nice to have this security shutter on record. Must have been an old shutter judging by the phone number. Viv
Screenshot_20230509_192253_Maps.jpg

Back