• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Horse Congreve Street

Can someone have a stab at the date of White Horse photo please by the car ? Thanks Viv.

I looks, at an approximate guess, to be mid 1920's. But others may know differently. ;)
Trawling for information about this place brings up a couple of dates. The earliest is 1842, an auction being held there (not the place I add), the second is 1858. I got the impression that the second date was when the building in the photograph was built, which suggests there was possibly an older place there beforehand.
A popular place for dinners and meetings, Phil mentions The Press Club in another thread, I have seen mention of Coldstream Guards Association, Institute of Brewing and Hall Green Bowling Club. I suspect there are many more names associated with the place.
In another thread here, a poster mentions he mother being a barmaid there in the early 1960s.
I believe there is much that might be found about this place, given its central location in the city and its longevity.

Last edited:
This is a new thread about the White Horse, set up using posts drawn from the Congreve street thread. Viv.

RE. Alan's suggestion of an earlier building in post #11, the earliest reference to a 'White Horse' on Congreve Street I've found so far is 1831. This White Horse would have been the predecessor to the one in the photo. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
A mention of the demolition of the WH in 1965, presumably for inner ring road development. In answer to Robert's question in post #9, yes it was. It was known as the White Horse Hotel from at least early 1900s - 65. The Rocket Club was here too.

There's a slight difficulty in visualising where the (later) building in the photo actually was (corner of Congreve Street and Great Charles Street) as there have been significant changes to roads since the 1960s. Congreve Street doesn't seem to exist anymore. I think Congreve Passage is probably the closest, although not exactly aligned with the old Congreve Street. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3
I am sure that auctions were a very regular happening at the White Horse as were many other functions. I guess over the years, with such a prominent position in the very heart of the city, functions were daily; maybe two or three some days. Imagine the wedding receptions that were likely held there. I am sure there is a mine of facts abut the place: just a question of finding them! ;)

phpThumb.php

Last edited:
If it also used a Gt Charles St address, this reference would take the old Inn (not the MH Hotel) back to March 1814. But can't tell if this is the same site. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
I have deleted the geographical error in my post. Maybe the photo is the older White Horse..
I have added another, similar photo, to my post #8 above. It gives some detail and a location of the place.

Last edited:
iu

The other photos are dated 1929. I looks like this might be a much later view of the entrance as the 'restaurant' lettering has been replaced.

Found an existing thread on here (via Google, as a search on here didn't turn up the existing thread). The earlier thread has info and many interior photos in #13. Please check out earlier posts as I've now brought these all together in this thread.

A drawing of the earlier White Horse Inn is in Mike's post #19. Viv

Just had a trawl through the old pubs thread looking for connections. You all do a great job tracking and passing on info.
So thanks to you I found the White Horse Hotel on Congreve Street. It was a Mitchells and Butlers Establishment.
I started my first job there (trainee cook) in August 1956 and learned a lot. The Manager was Mr. Haslewood. The chef who sacked me after an accident with 28lbs of freshly cooked peas (don't ask), I can't recall his name, was a Swiss-German who came to UK in 1938 to escape Nazism. But I do remember a couple of the other cooks; Joe Chester who lived off Sheldon Heath Road and Harry 'the Hawk' Hawkswell?
However, my search did not find a pub that was run by one of my uncles in the late 50s/60s. It was The Shoulder of Mutton, somewhere near the top end of Bradford Street. Does anyone have any memories.

Try to do no harm

My first job after leaving school was as an apprentice compositor at The Brandwood Printing Company, Augusta Street in the Jewellery Quarter. Every morning, it was my job to ring the White Horse and other pubs, to get details of changes to the daily menu. Next I would have to hand compose the changes and insert them into the 'forme' which was then put into a hand platen machine and the required number of new menu's were then printed. I then had to get the bus into the city and deliver the menus. I also had to go to the Old Royal and deliver their daily menus as well. Just a couple of the pubs I did daily menus for.

Back