• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Hart Tavern, Vaughton St

Blue Grass

proper brummie kid
Sorry if I'm in the wrong section but I am new to this site so bear with me please. :rolleyes: My mothers family were prolific in the Balsall Heath area around 1870-1910 and at one time they were the licensees of The White Hart Tavern, 21-22 Vaughton Street Balsall Heath. I know my g.uncle W J Romney lived there in 1901 but there is a family story that my grandfather, H. Romney also held the license a little later on. I can find no information on this public house and hope that you can help me. Thanks

A late answer, but it looks like you are still a member

From Kellys directories (date is publication date of directory and would probably refer to year before):

1900 William Joseph Romney

1903 William Henry Palmer

1904 Samuel White

1905 Henry Bond

1908 building not listed

1910 no 21 is tallow chandlers.

In 1903-1908 William Joseph Romney was a beer retailer (which could be beerhouse or offlicence) at 24 Macdonald St, and in 1910 he was a beer retailer at 11 Mary St.

1913 Kelly's lists Wm Jsph Romney as a beer retailer at 37 Vaughton Street - I don't know if there was renumbering. By 1915 it was Oliver Andrews.
Electoral roll for 1912 lists Wm J Romney at 37 Vaughton Street South, William Edward Street and Bath Tavern St Mary Street.
Janice

Last edited:
There was no renumbering. this was a different beer retailer (the white house pub is no 16 in 1904 & 1913)

Mike - I think we have some confusion here. 16 is the White House not the White Hart. I couldn't find a White Hart Tavern so I looked for Romney who I found in Vaughton Street South, hence the number 37. #1 refers to 21 and I can't find that named as a pub except on 1901 census. By 1911 21 was an ordinary house.
Janice

Last edited:
No 21 & 22 is shown as a beer retailer in the 1900-1905 Kellys. No 16 is listed as the White House PH on all the Kellys around then. I was only saying that it was at no 16 both years to show that there had been no renumbering. One quick way to show if a street has been renumbered is to check what number a named pub is over the years, . Other buildings may/will change occupants, but , where a pub is named on a street, the name , usually stays the same

Hi mike
Just reading your reply to some/one is it possibly named street chasnged to paradise street
As there was a White Heart public house
As i have a story of a Tommy Fitzpatrick 1901/ 1983 was a popuular figure in the area
In the 1920 and 30.s he lived in Garbett street.
He Commenced his boxing career at the Holte Public House in Trinity Road Aston
In 1922 When he Won the 8 Stone competition
He had over 300 Hundred fights and was never knocked out. He fought in Denmark, Norway,
And Sweden, He was Honoured by the Welsh ABA when they selected him to Fight
In the Jim Driscoll Memorial Tournamount in Cardiff.
He Won the Avery,s Amateur Club fly Weight Competition on the 29 thFeb 1924
He was a popular Customer in the woodman P.H in Easy Row and in the White Hart in paradise street
And also in the Crown in Broad Street.
He always ordered a ,stick of Ale,,this is a third of a pint
He Married Rose Farley when He Was 20 Years Of Age they Had 7 Children H Was a kind and
Considerate man,,

No 21 & 22 is shown as a beer retailer in the 1900-1905 Kellys. No 16 is listed as the White House PH on all the Kellys around then. I was only saying that it was at no 16 both years to show that there had been no renumbering. One quick way to show if a street has been renumbered is to check what number a named pub is over the years, . Other buildings may/will change occupants, but , where a pub is named on a street, the name , usually stays the same
Sorry Mike I misunderstood what you meant. I always wondered how you worked out if streets were renumbered - now I know.
Janice

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Janice
It's unfortunately not always that easy. Sometimes there is no pub in the street, and then I have to search for the same name, and it is surprising how often in the 1800s names listed change almost completely over just a few years

Hi mike
Just reading your reply to some/one is it possibly named street chasnged to paradise street
As i have a story of a Tommy Fitzpatrick 1901/ 1983 was a popuular figure in the area
He had over 300 Hundred fights and was never knocked out. He fought in Denmark, Norway,
He was a popular Customer in the woodman P.H in Easy Row and in the White Hart in paradise street
He Married Rose Farley when He Was 20 Years Of Age they Had 7 Children H Was a kind and
Considerate man,,
Hi mike
Considerate man,,
hi just found out my great uncle is tommy Fitzpatrick and my mum left this info with me ,she was a peters

Attachments

• 417DF640-D601-4596-9E55-4590EA3DB0AB.jpeg
    417DF640-D601-4596-9E55-4590EA3DB0AB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 9DFED387-C6A1-4216-8792-8EEE6802816D.jpeg
    9DFED387-C6A1-4216-8792-8EEE6802816D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Hi Sam Australia thats great news to hear of your finding of tommy and thank you for infoming us of it
As i know it will be of intrest to our other boxing members on our forum as over the years we have covered the boxing world of brummie boxers and of the cauliflower club ofcurzon street of birmingham which i have myself which i have kept for years its tucked away in a box in one of my chest of draws i will try and dig it out and down load it it is a lapel badge best wishes Astonian

Hi Sam Australia thats great news to hear of your finding of tommy and thank you for infoming us of it
As i know it will be of intrest to our other boxing members on our forum as over the years we have covered the boxing world of brummie boxers and of the cauliflower club ofcurzon street of birmingham which i have myself which i have kept for years its tucked away in a box in one of my chest of draws i will try and dig it out and down load it it is a lapel badge best wishes Astonian
hi sam tommy fitzpatrick was my grandfather

Back