• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Which Workhouse

Thirza

Brummie babby
I have just recieved my husbands G.Grandmothers death certificate, it states that she died in the workhouse infirmary,the Registration District was Aston in the Sub-district of Erdington.
The residence she had been living at was 3,Court,11 House,Gt Francis Street,Birmingham.
Her name was Jane Ford and died 3rd October 1916 aged 36 from ovarian Cancer, leaving behind a husband and seven children the youngest aged 3 and the eldest 10.

My question is can anyone advice me if they have any idea of which workhouse she would have died in,and did they inter the bodies in the grounds of the workhouse.

Thank you all in advance
Thirza

Type Erdington Workhouse in the search box at the top of the page for info on it. There was also another Workhouse in Birmingham the Western Road workhouse. There are records held in the Central Library email [email protected] they are very helpful, but there is I think a 100 year closure period, by proving you are a relative of Jane Ford they will waive the rule.
Good luck

Last edited:
Thirza, It is quite likely that this was the Aston Union workhouse, situated in Union Road, renamed Highcroft Road, Erdington There are no recorded graves on that site as it was only a mile or two from Lodge Hill cemetery.

I have recently joined this forum; now retired, a past employee at the site, subsequently Highcroft Hospital.
we produced an illustrated history 78 pages: Highcroft from Workhouse to Modern Mental Health Service. Copies still available to purchase via the FRIENDS OF HIGHCROFT, list price £8.99 Reply to me if interested; we had no access to indivudual records, so we cannot help trace any individuals. best wishes Julian Cleaver

For the sake of accuracy its important i feel to point out that LODGE HILL cemetery mentioned by the previous poster is in fact in Weoley Castle, a long way from Highcroft Erdington, it is more likely to be Witton Cemetery, Max

MAX ... THANKS! of course its not LODGE HILL... temporary brain diversion! WITTON CEMETERY is the one I meant to include. Cheers, Julian

Back