• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Which School ?

A good possibility Sid. The school was at 259 Birchfield Road so would have placed it after Canterbury Road going towards city centre. So on the evacuation map below, would have fallen within the 1939 evacuation area boundary. Having said that, the houses which were along that part of Birchfield Road, although large houses, don't look big enough to house the number of children. Also the school catered for girls - but maybe they were evacuated separately. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 7
Another possibility to it being a private school, might be that it was a grammar school. By the 1940s, it was predominantly private and grammar school students who wore school uniform. So I'm wondering which of these schools fell within the evacuation area of the map in post #4 ? Viv.

Back