• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where's This Shop?

When I first saw the original picture, I thought of the shop opposite the vine.

Not so sure now though, Lintels over the upstairs windows - obviously wrong.

John,

Your two photies certainly jogged my memoey. The Green Lane Picture House where I spent many a Saturday afternoon riding with Buck Jones and Hopalong Cassidy or zooming into the future with Flash Gordonl

The second photo saddens me. The bombed building was a fish and chip shop simply called Jacks. Jack and his daughter Hilda ran it and I never knew their surname. We had been bombed out ourselves at this time and it was some time before I knew that Jacks had gone. I never found out if Jack and Hilda survived. I sincerely hope and pray that they did.

It is not a joke. Hitler did bomb our chippie.

Old Boy

Old Boy
Regarding your concern for the occupants of the chippie.
The 1939 electoral roll show 248 Green Lane, which was Jack's fish & chips, as being occupied by John Henry and Gertrude Pritchett & family. The 1945 electoral roll show them (and a larger family , presumably others having reached voting age) at the Victoria hotel, Stafford St. Kellys confirms they were there in 1943 and 1944. By 1949 he is running an off licence at 110 Holte road and they are still there in 1950, but seem to have gone by 1956
Mike

Back