• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

where is this 2012

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..ages ago i was given 2 boxes of old pics by my bro..he was given them by the person who took them..unfortuately the location is missing off the back of a lot of them so from time to time i will post them on here in the hopes we can work out where they were taken..they vary from pubs..streets..buidings being demolished buildings being built ect so should keep us going for a while..there are also a few not taken by my bros friend so i will start with these two..

on the back of this one is stamped the midland press agency..suffolk st..birmingham..so what the occasion i wonder and what date is it...is it a footie team or rugby.....it looks like the man on the right is holding a key so maybe the opening of a sports building..if anyone spots a rellie in this pic i will happily forward it onto them..

the second pic is just a simple...where is it...

img516.jpg

img517.jpg

caption on this just says old bank 1989..the pub is the golden cross so hopefully this one will be easy to put a location to...

img524.jpg

Last edited:
Well Lyn I believe they are the same School at different angles don,t think it,s any of the King Edwards all though I would say a Grammar School as the playing fields has a number of Rugby pitches.Just a guess again maybe Saltley Grammar on Belchers |Lane.Dek

Post *4 Aston Cross Lyn although I feel the pub was The Golden Cross( notice the cross above the upstairs window) . Dek

yes thanks jean and dek...my error i meant to put the golden cross..have now edited...

so poss saltley grammer for pics on post 3

Lyn pic#No.4 is definitely the Golden Cross. Been to the clubs in the rooms over many times in the late 50's/early 60's.

I would agree with Saltley Grammar as well (post 3) and the 3 storey building in the background is part of Southalls factory, now demolished.

Terry

thanks judy and terry...i can now write the locations on the pics...

cheers..

I agree with terry and dek , belchers lane ....... you got the railway running through the photo in butween Adderley park & Stechford .
ragga
:05.18-flustered:

one with the tower cranes and the flats in the back ground . sorry cant see a number

Post *5 Lyn it,s either the Convention Centre or the NIA they are next to each other. On the R/H side you can see the Hiatt Hotel still in the process of being built.Dek

yes thanks jean and dek...my error i meant to put the golden cross..have now edited...

so poss saltley grammer for pics on post 3
No probs Lyn I don't normally recognize these old pubs but did spend many a night dancing upstairs.

Hi Lyn, I can confirm that the school in question is Saltley Grammar School (as was) in Belchers Lane. I was there in the 60s when I believe that the postal address was Bordesley Green East rather than Alum Rock

Back