• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where do I go to search records ?

Paul33

master brummie
I'm 100% used to doing all my family history research on the internet via the usual sites but I'm blessed (not) with having a very common surname and most of my ancestors seem to have very common first names and rarely any middle name !

As a result, I'm stuck with so many possibles from birth records in particular. I've spent a fortune already from ordering copy certificates to find which one is right ..... and, obviously, most aren't !

Is there anywhere I can go to check these records in full on microfilm ? Most of my ancesters are around the Aston registration area from 1880 - 1950.

Hiya Paul
I think the best place for you to search would be at the Library in town ..you will need a readers ticket ..take two forms of ID with you and the staff will issue you a ticket straight away ..good luck

Thanks for that but what will I have access to - given that I'm 100miles away from the library ?!!!

Have you tried Familysearch.org? The Mormon Churches sometimes have Family History Centres. They can order microfilms etc. for you to use on their premises. You can look up on their website for a local one. They are run by volunteers, and are only open certain at times.

Sorry Paul didn't realize:rolleyes:Rosie has suggested the Mormon church and i have to say i went to one and they were brilliant:)

I'm trying to understand what I will see at any of these places - I have paid access to FindMypast, Ancestry, etc but really need to see the level of detail I would see on certificates.

Paul I am not sure how far you are with your research but I would say certificates are a must to be sure you are researching the right family. Certificates are expensive so you must be sure before you order one. Start with your parents and work back. You will find details of how to order one on Ancestry but you can also do it for free on Free BMD although the records are not yet complete. A marriage certificate will have the names of the couples fathers as well as address and witnesses which can sometimes be family. A birth certificate will have the parents names as well as the mothers maiden name. Death certs will have address at time of death and informant. The certificates will have more info but the details I have listed are important for family research. If you know where your family were baptised married or even buried you may be able to access the church registers which will be the same as the certificate but this can be very time consuming. Most registers for Birmingham Churches are at Central Library. I am sure others will be able to help you if you let us know what or who you are researching. Good Luck.

I think that what Paul is looking for, is some way of viewing a certificate before he orders it, and as far as I know this cannot be done. The only way around this is for him to view the registers, but I don't know if you have to go to Kew to do this.

Barrie.

Paul I am not sure how far you are with your research but I would say certificates are a must to be sure you are researching the right family. Certificates are expensive so you must be sure before you order one. Start with your parents and work back. You will find details of how to order one on Ancestry but you can also do it for free on Free BMD although the records are not yet complete. A marriage certificate will have the names of the couples fathers as well as address and witnesses which can sometimes be family. A birth certificate will have the parents names as well as the mothers maiden name. Death certs will have address at time of death and informant. The certificates will have more info but the details I have listed are important for family research. If you know where your family were baptised married or even buried you may be able to access the church registers which will be the same as the certificate but this can be very time consuming. Most registers for Birmingham Churches are at Central Library. I am sure others will be able to help you if you let us know what or who you are researching. Good Luck.

I have enough certificates to wallpaper my house but with a very common surname and forenames, I simply can't be sure until I get the certs and that is costing me a fortune - that was why I was asking.

Back