• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where do i go now?

ALB10N

master brummie
My father is the eldest of seven,... I've found all the births of the others apart from one. I've looked 10yrs either side of his supposed Birth day,... I can't find his marriage certificate either (no brides surname),... I can't find the births of his 5 children either. I'm guessing he may have been adopted, but how do i continue the search? He was born c1919, and is a Williams. Not the easiest of names to search through (",)

Just to add...........
I've looked at all other Christian names just in case......... :)
All my Aunts & Uncles are no longer alive either.

Hi Albion,unless there is a reason that you do not wish to divulge further information can you post the name of your father and his children(approx ages) and the name of his wife Christian name will do.
If you would rather send this to me by IM I will have a go at searching.
As you have found the birth of your fathers siblings what was his mothers maiden name.

WILLIAMS..... (1) William Arthur 01/04/1915: (2) Leah Victoria 25/12/1917 (registered 1918): (3) Joseph, wife Gladys (maybe), children are; Dickie, Mackie, Shirley, Margaret & Brenda (in that order): (4) Bernard 1st qtr 1921: (5) Harriett 1922: (6) Alfred 1923: (7) Lily 1926.
William is DEFINATELY the eldest...... Mothers maiden name is 'Puffer'.

Hope you can help, coz I don't see where else to go......... :'(

Not sure if this helps! I found these:
Marriage Mar 1913 Puffer Harriet spouse Williams John W Aston 6d 632

DATE..................Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Mar 1914 WILLIAMS Lizzie V... Puffer Birmingham 6d668
Deaths Jun 1915 Williams Elizabeth V...age 1... Birmingham 6d405

Births Jun 1915 Williams William A.... Puffer Birmingham 6d603
Births Mar 1921 Williams Bernard ...Puffer Birmingham 6d677
Births Jun 1922 Williams Harriet..... Puffer Birmingham 6d626
Births Sep 1926 Williams Edward F... Puffer Birmingham N. 6d873
'' '' '' '' Williams Lily V ....Puffer Birmingham S. 6d238
Births Mar 1928 Williams John A.... Puffer Birmingham S. 6d224

Could John b1928 have been Known as Joseph, as people often changed names if their Dad or Mom had the same one.
Seems they may also have had another older child that died, people back then often never told their children about siblings that had died.

Pom :angel:

Last edited:
Hi Pom....
I've got all those, but just discussing it has brought other things to mind.... My Mother (died 1993) was sure he (Joe) was born between Leah 1917, & Bernard 1921.
I'm going to get some more certificates just to eliminate or confirm things.......
Even if Joe was born earlier or later than these, I still can't find the children, which leads me to believe he may not be a Williams.... But why raise him in another name?
Very strange.

Thanx for your input.

I'll keep ya informed

BiLL

Hi Bill,

Legal adoption did not start in UK until 1927,my Dad was adopted by his uncle in 1924.This was done by what was called a Private Treaty agreed in front of a Solicitor.
Often the mother had died in childbirth(as in Dads case) or given birth out of wedlock.most of the adoptions were by a member of the family.

More often than not they didn't bother with the legal process,just took the child and raised it as their own.
Although the child would be known by their name when it came to marriage etc.they would use their birth surname.

This may not apply to your Joseph,so the best thing to do would be to
apply to the GRO in Southport for his birth certificate
Joseph Williams 1919 mothers name Puffer with search 3 years either way.
They will charge you about £11 if they find birth and just a fraction of that if they do not.

Hi Alberta,...
I think i'll try that..... What've i got to lose?
If i don't try these avenues, they'll all be 'what if's'.....
I don't hold out much hope,.... Shame i can't find my Cousins to ask them....

Cheers anyway

BiLL

Hmmmmmm!!

Cheers for that. Lot's to go through on the site. Never heard of it before.

Thanx

Back