• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheeler And Farm Streets Nursery School

fellowkev

master brummie
Hi,
Does anyone know the name of my old nursery school that, I believe, was on the corner of Wheeler and Farm streets in Hockley during the 50's?
I lived in Frankfort street in the late 50's and early 60's. If memory serves me well, the school was not too far from our house, perhaps less than half a mile, up a bit of a hill. My mom would send me off on my own, so it could not have been too far away (who would dream of doing that in a city, nowadays). Looking at Chris's trusty map of Brum (thanks Chris) the best bet for the location of the school is on Wheeler street.
Any help is appreciated, as I am on a quest to rediscover my long, lost boyhood in England :)

Thanks Alf,
marvelous picture. Those Keith Berry photographs of Brum are outstanding!

Last edited:
Sorry there is a bit missing from my post; here it is again. I don't know of a nursery school but St Matthias' Primary and Junior School was on the corner of Wheeler St and Farm St

Thanks Michael,
I will run it by my mother, the name should ring a bell. I was only there from about 4 until I was 6, I believe. I can still remember the long walk past all the factories, but there were hardly any cars about. Seems surreal, now. I also remember some old guy walking along the streets picking up squashed dead cats and putting them into a burlap sack. What kind of job would that have been! Of course, this was from a kid's perspective.
Is the school still there? Something that looks like a school is on Google maps in that area.

Last edited:
Back