• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What has happened to our great statues ?

Peel Statue

Whilst the statue of Robert Peel started off it's itinerant life in Victoria Square, it had a rest in Calthorpe Park before ending up at the Police training establishment at the Tally Ho!
The question is, "Where is his most appropriate home?"
Some years ago I looked at this statue and found the surface very pitted; I wondered about the pollution effect, with him being so close to the Pershore Road traffic.
If the 'appropriateness' arguements are quite close, would it not be wiser to spend the money otherwise?

George Dawson Statue when it was near Council House - is it still there? This pic about 1994

Attachments

• george dawson by council house.JPG
    george dawson by council house.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Steve do you mind if I take a copy of your photo George looks much better there than in Dolman Stores.

Feel free to copy Wendy; I found it by chance in some old photo's I took. He looks somehow out of proportion to me - either a long coat or little legs - or both!

Steve

Thanks Steve its a nice photo of a great man. I think its his coat makes his legs look short.

Joining this discussion on statues, two that spring to mind are those of Watt and Boulton sitting facing each other, on Broad st I think. I only wonder as there is a statue of James Watt looks just like the one on Broad St, at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh.
I have not lived in Brum since I left to join the Royal Navy in 1970.

researching the name Lutwyche and soon to start on Pittaway

i remember the big statue ,and it was in highgate park when i was six years old .and i wondered then ,why was this statue in this small place in the park hidden it was in a tiny space ,surrounded by trees then .i am now fifty one years old . what a shame he wasnt given more recognition ,he was hidden away really. as you would never have known he was there. we stumbled on him many moons ago .harley.

Richie, I have a feeling that this thread and another helped things along a bit regarding the mail article ... (as I have been told)

I am so pleased that something is being done. I felt sad when I saw George Dawson's statue and bust in the museum storage in Dolman Street, but as they say in the aricle at least they will be preserved. If you are right Cromwell I say thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Davelut my husband Stuart is a graduation of heriot Watt University - a prof Engineer. Busts of James Watt and bouton can be found i Old St Mary's Parish Chrirch. Handsworth

I've just been to the Birmingham seen exhibition and it's amazing. On the flyer for the exhibition is a picture of the Robert Peel statue when it was located in Victoria Sq. I wondered where it was now and doing research on this site i understand it to be at Tally Hoe on the Pershore Rd. On coming across this thread in my research i thought it had some amazing photos on it and thought i'd resurrect it

Attachments

• sir robert peel at the tally ho.jpg
    sir robert peel at the tally ho.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 2
Thanks brumgum I love this thread. The statue is wonderful I beleive the Police use the Tally Ho for bowls and other events maybe why he's there.
We have a statue of Robert Peel in Market Street Tamworth I glance at most weeks!

Tally Ho is the training school for the police in West Midlands and it also has the Police Sports and Social Club in the grounds. Robert Peel, of course, founded the modern police force hence the terms 'Peelers' and 'Bobbies'

Old Boy

All,

as we stand today can someone tell me where all our statues are located in the city so that I can go and locate them on my next visit please...cheers

This is my favourite statue, I call it the decorators, (choosing wallpaper)Took these yesterday.

Attachments

• Boulton Watt & Murdoch.jpg
    Boulton Watt & Murdoch.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 3
Hence the old answer when asked "What" - "Standing in town with his hands out" (Watt).

Re: Holloway Ciircus.

Now I consider this to be nostalgia, Such a beauty to be lost from the beautiful City Of Birmingham. Now seems to be lost forever, either melted down or adoring some rich persons outdoor or indoor swimming pool.
This photograph was taken in August 1989 before the figurine was stolen from its site in Holloway Circus.
Seem to have lost the cropped photograph, will try again.View attachment 10632

Now I might be wrong here - but there is a very similar statue in a similar pose in Corporation St, opposite the Sound Bar and adjacent to the helicopter 'landing pad' for the Children's hospital. Here's hoping that 'she' was not stolen and has since been relocated. I will check on the way home from work as unfortunately that part of Corporation St is not covered by Google Street View.

Re: Holloway Ciircus.

Now I might be wrong here - but there is a very similar statue in a similar pose in Corporation St, opposite the Sound Bar and adjacent to the helicopter 'landing pad' for the Children's hospital. Here's hoping that 'she' was not stolen and has since been relocated. I will check on the way home from work as unfortunately that part of Corporation St is not covered by Google Street View.
The Hebe statue was stolen but was recovered and is now at the top of Corporation St as you say......

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-78779312.html

Here it is on Flickr......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46822829@N00/565831198/

Thanks brumgum.
I had a look on the way home from work - and the article you've linked proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt - it's great that Hebe has not been lost forever or melted down. I must admit I don't ever remember seeing it when it was at Holloway Head.

I do wonder where the ' swing sculpture' has gone that used to sit atop the mound at St Chads Circus ? I don't know what it was about it , but I really liked it.

I have been browsing the different postings on Statues in Birmingham because I wanted to see what had happened to a particular statue which we liked and photographed on a visit in 1993 but which had disappeared by a later visit and also more about a new statue we photographed in 2007. Very disappointed to find that the one which had disappeared, 'Forward' by Ray Mason (born 1922) was lost in a fire - does anyone know when what year this occurred? (or has this already been mentioned and I have missed it?)

Thanks to other postings I am now know that the 'new' statue we liked is of Thomas Attwood - great statue - hope it is still in good condition.

Something else I learnt was that the Boulton, Watt and Murdoch statue was a 'modern' statue but must admit being a 'tree' person sorry to see that the trees disappeared between 1993 and 2007.
Many thanks for the informative postings. - Christine

Last edited:
The Column of St George was erected as part of the 1937 celebrations for the coromation of George VI and then re-used for the Pageant of Birmingham in 1938 to celebrate the centenary of the Charter of Birmingham.

The sculptor was Alan Bridgwater (1903-1962) and it was made of wood and plaster. After the celebrations were over The Birmingham Civic Society suggested that the statue of Edward VII be removed from Victoria Sqaure and relocated to the top of Edmund Street at the junction with Easy Row. It further suggested that Queen Victoria be placed in a niche in the Council House and a permanent column of St George be erected from bronze and stone in the middle of the traffic island east of the Town Hall (see map below).

Although the proposals were met with a positive reaction, the onset of the Second World War and the post war austerity meant that it would never come to pass. The plaster/wooden model was thereafter scrapped.

The Civic Society also suggested demolishing the nasty gothic Victorian Chamberlain Fountain and creating a wide tree lined boulevard focussing on the clock tower of the Art Gallery (Big Brum). This idea forms the basis of Argent plc's development plans for the Central Library today!

If anyone wants to know more about Alan Bridgewater, I can post a brief biography.

I think this is the column mentioned in another thread, I'm not very good at putting links!
rosie.

image.jpeg image.jpeg August 1939

The Column of St George was erected as part of the 1937 celebrations for the coromation of George VI and then re-used for the Pageant of Birmingham in 1938 to celebrate the centenary of the Charter of Birmingham.

The sculptor was Alan Bridgwater (1903-1962) and it was made of wood and plaster. After the celebrations were over The Birmingham Civic Society suggested that the statue of Edward VII be removed from Victoria Sqaure and relocated to the top of Edmund Street at the junction with Easy Row. It further suggested that Queen Victoria be placed in a niche in the Council House and a permanent column of St George be erected from bronze and stone in the middle of the traffic island east of the Town Hall

Although the proposals were met with a positive reaction, the onset of the Second World War and the post war austerity meant that it would never come to pass. The plaster/wooden model was thereafter scrapped.

The Civic Society also suggested demolishing the nasty gothic Victorian Chamberlain Fountain and creating a wide tree lined boulevard focussing on the clock tower of the Art Gallery (Big Brum). This idea forms the basis of Argent plc's development plans for the Central Library today!

If anyone wants to know more about Alan Bridgewater, I can post a brief biography.

Back