• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

what does "Head visitor" mean

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
By chance, looking for something else I came across the above description in 1891 Worcestershire > Kings Norton > District 36 > 34 (RG12/2355) of one of the members of Harry Harmer's house in Woodfield Road' . The house is full of Harmers , one of which is James, whose relationship to the Harry is listed as above. Harry's occupation is listed as "Carriage XXXX", where XXXX looks a bit like Lambaghini, but obviously isn't, and James occupation is "clothier". Has anyone else come across head visitors, & and do you know what it means?
Mike

Perhaps it means that he is head of his own household (where ever that might be) and that on the night of the census he was a visitor to Woodfield Road.

I think you have got it Barrie. His wife is also there and listed after him. Its obvious when you know.

You're welcome Mike. I would ask please, don't let my missus know I was right, I'm not allowed to be right. Allegedly.

Back