• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What did you wear?

Anvilman you've reminded me of a pair of trousers I used to wear. Brown corduroy, not just trousers but they had braces. No not very flattering, especially for me, a girl! Viv.

Vivienne14 I noticed on the thread location you lived in Bournville in your earlier days. Did you by any chance go to Bournville School?

Hello Rosie, sorry I'm a bit late answering you regarding your husbands siren suit, but I was unable to get back onto the Forum for a few days. I think he looks gorgeous and cuddly in that suit, but I did think it didn't look very warm. So they were a quick dress idea for when the sirens went. Speaking of onesies, we were with friends for Christmas and their grown up children both got onesies as well. Your husband was spot on when he said he had already worn one.

Hi maggs, he's still gorgeous and cuddly!!!! He can't remember whether it was warm though!
rosie.

Pleased to hear that Rosie. Hope he stays that way. Kids always seem to be warm anyway, so don't suppose he felt the cold in his little siren suit..bless him.

When Disco dancing first came out the siren suit was re-invented. They were made of lycra and fitted very tightly. Fortunately lycra stretches so you were able to move quite freely in them. Some were covered in sequins or glitter of some description. It's nice to think that the first one to wear them was Winston all those years ago. { not with sequins though ! }

Betty.

Wooden sandals used to be popular, haven't seen any for a while. My first pair gave me blisters and Nan said people wore them during the War and called them "Woodies".
I liked clogs too, the leather and wood ones.

Weren't Scholls wooden too? They were supposed to be good for your feet. They also did a leather covered version too. Viv.

Yes Rosie they did! Scholl still make sandals. I think even today you can get the regular type, but they also do quite a large range of cork based ones too. They're very comfy. Viv.

I have just been going hot and cold having thoughts on what I wore to bed in the 1940s. I'm afraid to say it was the shirt I was given on Monday morning to last me till the following Sunday night. It was the same shirt I went to school in so that meant I wore it 168 hours without removing it!!! Further more I think this was probably the norm for my social class. There was no worrying about having a bath, or as now a shower, every day since it was restricted to Sunday evening. Nevertheless very happy days.

I remember Dad having loose collars with studs to make a shirt "last" longer between washings. He tried paper collars from Woolworth's but they disintegrated in hot weather!!
(I have put a post on the thread "Did we smell?". Friday was our bath night, in the tin bath!)
rosie.

Those paper detachable collars became fashionable again in the mid 60's, and I used to buy mine from Woolworth, but I think they were better quality by then.

I wore Winkle-picker shoes in the 60s constantly. Very extended points at the toe and high heels. I'm paying for it now :)

Judy

The detachable collars were worn by most of the guys who went to The Brum Cavern. That would have been 64/65. They called them grandad collars.

Know what you mean Judy. All the different styles have played havoc with my feet. And I walked everywhere, so whether I was in stilettos, platforms or gladiator sandals I still wore them because you just didn't want to look out of fashion. At least today's fashions allow you to wear more comfortable footwear like trainers or loafers. And consequently I think today's generation will have much better feet when they are older simply because the fashions have been kinder to their feet. Viv.

Yes I definitely agree Viv. Fashion was everything even though it hurt!! A lot of today's styles are much better for the feet. Although I still think high heels look glam!

I remember sending away to London for a pair of shoes with extended points, which were longer than normal. They looked absolutely ridiculous when I got them and I returned them!

l think all of us gals of a certain age wore a liberty bodice, on top of a vest with a petticote on to of that, like you l hated those rubber buttons..even now l shudder just to even think of them....Brenda

Duffle coats were mentioned on another thread. When I started work, my mother bought me a lovely warm brown one with imitation horn toggles. She had saved a (nylon) fur collar from an old coat and we stitched it round the hood! That duffle coat lasted years. I had a red one when I was little, it had wooden toggles, so much easier than buttons.
rosie.

In the late 60`s i disposed of my cream suit in favour of a more trendy look. George Best jacket, frilly shirt & velvet trousers! Jeez, i must have looked a right pansy, & no i`m not gay. These days it`s just jeans & a sweater.:rolleyes:

Still have a Duffle Coat which is so warm in the winter.
Following the trend, in the mid-50s, my mate & I both had duffel coats, Pete's was Navy Blue, mine was a sort of khaki colour, with wooden toggle fasteners. I was so jealous of Pete's, the hood fitted closely to his head whereas mine was loose and flapped about. It turned out that mine was ex- Royal Navy and the hood was loose fitting because it was designed to accomodate the steel helmet. I wish I'd kept it, it was lovely and warm.

l had a duffle coat it was grey with lambs wool lining and wooden toggles it was a godsend in the winter...l brought it to Texas with me in 1958, and wore it in the winter for a few years....but living this far south we really do not get a winter and just a couple of years ago l donated it to goodwill, just hope who ever got it appreciated it as much as l did

Back