• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What about the Turnpikes

There was a time when the turnpike provided an important transport route. but there is no specific sub group for them
Turnpikes in some US states are pay to use roads. In Tennessee where we live now the term pike (non pay) is used frequently usually as an older transport route. TN was once a part of North Carolina which was settled mostly by British, Scottish and Irish settlers.

Turnpikes were basically a gate that blocked access to a road until a toll was paid at the toll house alongside.
Attached are some of the routes in Birmingham that had a turnpike in the 19th century. The first act for turnpikes was passed in 1663 in Hertfordshire. I believe there is all ready a link to this subject on the Forum Under Tollhouses of Birmingham.

Last edited:
Turnpikes were basically a gate that blocked access to a road until a toll was paid at the toll house alongside.
Attached are some of the routes in Birmingham that had a turnpike in the 19th century. The first act for turnpikes was passed in 1663 in Hertfordshire. I believe there is all ready a link to this subject on the Forum Under Tollhouses of Birmingham.
Actually the initial pikes were poles or pikes that the toll collector turned (Turnpike) after the money or fee was paid to let someone by.

With the Toll House thread both canal and road toll houses are discussed. The development of the turnpikes in this area appears only in fragmented areas and needs a separate heading. For example the following map at Ten Acres shows the improvements made to the Pershore Road there. The Pershore Road itself is a worthwhile topic to discuss as it came about in 1825 and provided a shorter route to Bristol and Bath by road.

490102.jpg

Pershore Turnpike Road Act was passed in the 6th year of the reign of King George IV. (1825)

From the town of Birmingham to or near the town of Pershore.

C0D05154-A212-4F79-8C66-21253D219F64.jpeg

So the M6 Toll is a modern-day equivalent to the old turnpikes. Fees to offset the constuction, improvement and maintainance of roads.

Back