• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WHALE William

rowan

Born a Brummie
William WHALE m Sarah LATCHFORD in 1863 in Birmingham

They had several children before going to Australia where he died in 1903.

Willian was a Baptist Preacher.He was born in Redditch.

How do I go about finding his descandants?
Can anyone help please?:)

Hi Rowan.

Have you got this from the 1871 census in Ipswich.

Wi lliam Whale 28 Baptist Minister Redditch.
Sarah Whale 29 Birmingham
William Whale 4 London
Harriet Whale 2 Bure Suffolk
Edward Whale 5mths Bure Suffolk

barrie

Another problem!!

Sarah was living in Barn Street in 1861 and William was living in Ingleby Street. Can anyone tell me at what church they could have married at?

Could it have been at the Zion Chapel Newhall Street that William attended or would it have been in Sarah's parish?

Although Sarah was born in Ireland I am sure she wasn't Catholic because she married a Baptist and I think the Catholic Church would have frowned on such a union:(

Is there any other way to find out without buying a certificate?

Thank you all for your help :love:

Re: William WHALE

Hi
I have been tracing my Whale family tree and I believe that the William Whale that you refer to may be the son of my gt gt gt gt gt Grandfather Henry Whale born 1818 who was married to Harriet and had children - Henry, William, Catherine and Edwin lived in Ingleby Street. I saw some research into the same William Whale on https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,269762.0.html apparently William attended the Zion Church in Birmingham before his departure to Australia.

Wlecome to Rootscaht

you will find losts of lovely folk to help you in your searching

death
1903/B003929 Whale William father Whale Henry mother Harriet Lambert

1891/B015374 Whale William Henry married Harriet Eliza Silcock

Births
1893/C010823 Whale Edgar William father William Henry mother Harriet Eliza Silcock
1896/C010482 Whale Vida Silcock William Henry Harriet Eliza Silcock
1900/B000848 Whale Leslie George William Henry Harriet Eliza Silcock

death
1894/C003967 Whale Edgar William William Henry Whale Harriet Eliza Silcock

in 1906 Harriet died

1906/C003428 Whale Harriet Eliza father Walter Cooke Silcock mother Ann Maddock

then William Henry remarries

1909/B008212 Whale William Henry married Grace Elizabeth Hanson

children born to this couple

1910/B024058 Whale Grace Norma father William Henry mother Grace Elizabeth Hanson
1912/B029462 Whale William John Latchford William Henry Grace Elizabeth Hanson

Other Marriages

1891/B015192 Whale Harriet Kate married Jeremiah Garnett Horsfall

1895/B017441 Whale Elizabeth Mary married John Herbert Goldsmith
1903/B002399 Whale Elsie Louise Frederick William Simpson
1906/B004259 Whale Jessie Josephine Leonard Canton Morris

1913/C000526 Whale Clement Stansell Elizabeth Ada McKeeman (Don’t know if this chap ties in with your mob)

The immigration for your family appear to be on the Unassisted list into Victoria - the Vic files include anyone who stopped by even if they were going elsewhere - so often folks for other states are on their lists

WHALE WM REVD 50 SEP 1885 JOHN ELDER B 455 010
Also on the same ship
WHALE ---- MRS 48
WHALE E M MISS 12
WHALE H K MISS 16
WHALE JESSIE J MISS 10
WHALE L W MISS 6
WHALE W H MR 18
WHALE WM REVD 50

https://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=23

rev. william whale died 4th september 1903 queensland
and his wife sarah died 24th august 1933 toowong queensland
according to the public tree i found on ancestry

for Sarah Whale

1903 Brisbane North

426 upper Edwar Street Domestic duties
also registered at same address
was Jessie Josephine Whale Domestic duties

1913 Toowong
McIllwarith Street, Auchenflower Domestic duties

1919 and 1925
Wingara Street, Yeeroongpilly Home Duties

So it would appear that Sarah lived by herself for a number of years

Thank you for your posting.
Many people have helped me on Rootschat in tracing William and Sarah Whale and they are the same folks that you have listed here. Sarah Latchford is on my husbands Mother's side.
Again thank you for your time

Your post is 2010. My father was Ronald Henry Whale, son of Rev. William Whale who was the son of the Rev. William Whale. My father had abrother William Latchford Whale who was shot down over Germany during WW2. He was based with the RAF and had an affair with the base Commander (?) and she had a son Bill Fisher of whom we knew nothing until about 12 years ago. W L Whale had 2 sons back here in Australia ... ironically another Bill and Franklin. I have the Whale Family Bible going right back prior to the Rev William migrating to Australia from Birmingham. I also have a Thesis written by an Honours Uni student called "William Whale: The Making of a Colonial Baptist Preacher 1842-1903" by Patrick John O'Leary. He lead an amazing life in Colonial Australia. The name Latchford pops up here and there. Any questions? Happy to help albeit 13 years later.

Your post is 2010. My father was Ronald Henry Whale, son of Rev. William Whale (born 1842 in Redditch Worcestershire) who was the son of the Rev. William Whale. My father had a brother William Latchford Whale who was shot down and killed over Germany during WW2. He was based with the RAF and had an affair with the base Commander's (?) daughter and she had a son - Bill Fisher - of whom we knew nothing until about 12 years ago. W L Whale had 2 sons back here in Australia ... ironically another Bill and Franklin. I have the Whale Family Bible going right back prior to the Rev William migrating to Australia from Birmingham. I also have a Thesis written by an Honours Uni student called "William Whale: The Making of a Colonial Baptist Preacher 1842-1903" by Patrick John O'Leary. He lead an amazing life in Colonial Australia. The name Latchford pops up here and there. Any questions? Happy to help albeit 13 years later.

Back