• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

we've all said it....but where did it come from?

this is an old native tonuge figure of speech of brummiegan language
the arley barley ,was invented by the early days of the centries
then came the ackie , one .two , three ,

ARLEY BARLEY came from John Houghton - well that's what Google told me. So there's summat else our John's famous for.
clapping.gif

In Oz they say "Bar-lees". I was just wondering about the origin of the phrase......but then.........at the same time, I was also wondering about the beginning of the universe. ^-^

According to my book, Arley and Arley-Barley comes from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, written in the 14th century.

At the beginning of the poem the gigantic green stranger at King Arthur's court challenges any man to strike him with an axe "so long as I shall have leave to launch a return Barlay". Here, the word "Barlay" means free or unchecked, and it's not hard to see how, it came used by West Midlands kids in their play when wanting a break. Children shouted "Barley" or "Arley-Barley" when playing tig.

When we were kids playing a game in the street and we wanted a break we used to shout Barley, I believe this came from the French word Parlee, to speak.

It comes from the French 'allez parler', meaning 'go and talk it over' before things get nasty....

Big Gee

My husband is from London, and instead of Barley, as a child he called out 'Fainites'. This meant the same thing and if you shouted it it gave you protection when playing games

Back