• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wem family, 28 Whittall Street, 1920-1925

Ken_R

master brummie
I hope this is the correct forum.

I have been researching 'one of mine', Charles Francis WEM (1860-), and have found that although the family home was at 108 Hillaries Road, the Electoral Registers show that he had a Workshop at 28 Whittall Street.

Does anyone have access to Trade Directories for this period which might show what he was trading as?

In 1911 he was shown as a Gun Disc Filer.

Thanks.

Closest i can get is 1913 Kellys directory which shows that Charles Wem was a "gun lock maker" at 31 1/2 Whittall Street, and George Francis Wem was also a gun lock maker at 28 Whittall street.

Thanks. That's the family. The son, George Francis (1888-1915), died fighting at Gallipoli.

Seemingly, the father took over the premises from his son. Interesting that they initially had different premises.

Did Charles try another trade previously, as I have found:
Charles Wem 1890 hardware dealer 20 Lennox st.

Charles Francis Wem
Nothing in 1892
1895-1913 gunlock maker 31½ Whittall St
Nothing 1915
1921-1924 gunlock maker 28 Whittall St
Nothing in 1932

George Francis Wem
Not mentioned 1910
1912-1915 gunlock maker 28 Whittall St
(Remember that date is publication date and might refer to 1 year earlier)
Charles Wem is listed as being on electoral roll for 108 Hillaries Road for 1912 and Charlers Francis Wem (probably the same) for 108 Hillaries Road 1920-25, but not 1927. He is also listed for 28 Whittall St for 1920-25.

Just as a precaution . I thought I should go back a bit more

1867 Nothing
1868 Thomas Wem, tobacconist High St Aston New Town
1872 Thomas Wem gunlock maker Webster St
1876-79 Thomas Wem birding gun locksmith 64 Phillips st
1880 Charles Wem , gun locksmith 64 Phillips St
1882 Charles Francis Wem , gun locksmith 64 Phillips St
1883 Charles Francis Wem , shopkeeper, 64 Phillips St
1884 Nothing
1888 Charles Wem hardware dealer 20m Lennox St

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

Thomas Welch Wem (1841-) is shown as a Gun Lock Maker in 1871, Upper Webster Street. Interesting about the Tobacconist bit.

1881 shows Charles (1824-) + family at 64 Phillips Street. No Thomas and I can't find him elsewhere. I need to do more work on that and follow the spouse.

It looks like Charles Francis died 1929.

These are quite difficult to follow as brothers both brought their families to Brum and, for the most part, pursued similar trades. It gets even more complicated when in 1884, Charles Francis Wem (son of Charles Wem, Gun Lock Filer) marries Henrietta Wem (daughter of George Robert Wem, Gun Lock Filer) and the witnesses are Thomas Corns Wem (Tobacconist of 12 Cattell Road) and his wife, Emma Wem.

I'll have another look at the Hardware Dealer entry.

Again, thanks.

There are other Wems in the earlier period (pre 1880) such as Mrs Amelia, grocer; william beer retailer; john, gun lock filer Let me know if you have any interest those entries

I hope this is the correct forum.

I have been researching 'one of mine', Charles Francis WEM (1860-), and have found that although the family home was at 108 Hillaries Road, the Electoral Registers show that he had a Workshop at 28 Whittall Street.

Does anyone have access to Trade Directories for this period which might show what he was trading as?

In 1911 he was shown as a Gun Disc Filer.

Thanks.

I realise it's a different period - but my dad was born at 3 Whittall St in 1928. He died earlier this year, but not before giving us an account of his early life in Whittall St. #3 was a café and it very much served the local gun-making trade.

Back