• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

We will remember them

john bev

master brummie
Private 21818 Thomas William Bevan 2nd Gloucester Regiment . Died 21st April 1917 at Vimy Ridge.

Private Joseph Hanks 7626 "D" Coy, 2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment Died 21st Oct 1914 at Langemarck, Belgium.

Family will be remembered with pride,
Who will you be remembering ?

private 20434 frederick cummings 3rd battalion worcestershie regiment killed in action 16th june 1915 french & flanders aged 36 (great grandfather)

private 5116413 harold victor cumming kings regiment liverpool infantry P O W in burma 12 april 1943 aged 33 (grandfather)

Family wil be remembered with pride and honor
who will you be remembering

They said it was the war to end all wars, but we all knew they lied
They said you'll come back as Heroes but most of my comrades have died
They said we would have the best of everything but we never did
They said they would be right there with us but the leaders ran and hid
They said it wouldn't last long: it would all be over in less than a year
They said they were suffering too, but I never saw one shed a tear
They said the Germans were the enemy, they called them Nazis or the Huns
They said they were animals, but they too were were Fathers, Husbands or Sons
They said We were winning and that what we did would be remembered forever
They said our appalling conditions would get better, but of course they never
They said lots of things which they believed were true, but they were lying
They said we were all brave, but you don't feel brave when your mates are dieing
They said when this was over, war would never again raise its ugly head
They said we would all live in peace, it never happened, but it is what They said.

Last edited:
Jim,that is lovely, so very true.
We were fortunate not to lose any close family in any of the wars, but one of dads cousins was killed in Gallipoli and one of moms relatives, a bomb disposal expert, was blown up in Cornwall, defusing a German bomb on the beach.
We will remember all who died in the war, without them who knows where we would be today.
Sue

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Colin

Thanks for those moving lines Jim. My father's family who lived in Witton, lost their eldest son, William Venville, aged 22 years on September 9, 1915. He was "going over the top" when struck in his head by an enemy bullet. Right through his cap badge. No helmets at that time. He was a Rifleman with the King's Royal Rifle Corps. The Uncle I never knew. My son Duncan is his double. We have his medals, bible, pencil, notebook and letters from his Commanding Officer to my Grandmother. So many fellows from Witton were killed.
William rests at Rue-du-Bacquerot Military Cemetery in Laventie, France. He is remembered on a plaque in Aston Parish Church.IMG.jpg

HARRY E FROGGATT..BORN HOCKLEY..KINGS ROYAL RIFLE CORPS.16TH BATT...harry married my nans sister in january 1916...he died at flanders on 6th of dec 1916...

Michaels grandfather also joined The Kings Royal Rifles.

View attachment 82707
John_Charles_Pocket_Roll_of_Honour.jpg

Pte William Davis. 8th Bn South Staffs. Killed in action 1 Nov 1916. My Gt Uncle. Stand Easy Uncle Bill.

Barrie.

The future generations of this country, must never be allowed to forget.
Have just got back from the Memorial service in Tamworth and was pleasantly surprised by the number of younger folk who turned out to line the route and pay their respects to the fallen, some them looked the most unlikely folk, with their hoodies and baseball caps, but all credit to them, was nice to see.
Sue

Frederick James Bray in Queens Own Worcester Hussars - private age 23. Memorial on Jerusalem Memorial in Israel. (gt uncle)
Frederick John Bray of Kings Norton of the Royal Warwicks - memorial Thiepval - (cousin)
Many of my families lost young men so we must
Remember them.
Sheri

Have just got back from the Memorial service in Tamworth and was pleasantly surprised by the number of younger folk who turned out to line the route and pay their respects to the fallen, some them looked the most unlikely folk, with their hoodies and baseball caps, but all credit to them, was nice to see.
Sue

hi sue
i went to the memorial service in tamworth this morning along with my mother sister and daughter and like you was pleasntly surprised to see a lot of the young folk turn out the line the rout and stand and listen to the service at st edithas. It was so nice to see them paying their respects.

I'm not sure this belongs here. Grandad on my dad's side fought and had medals although the family was Irish Republican. I'm not sure that my other grandad fought in that one although he had a long service record by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back