• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Street Post Office

W

Wendy

Villa Street post office on the corner of Villa Street and Nursery Road about 1960.

I think there may be an error in the date on that one Moma P.

I worked in Villa Street from 1951 until 1958 and our company continued to have a workshop there until 1970, that shop was a greasy spoon cafe where we bought our lunch break sandwiches at that time so I think it must have been a post office much earlier. E.

Eric, 1963 was printed on the back and I put 60 as I thought the picture may be earlier.

Yup, Eric in 1962 No 97 Villa St on corner of Nursery Rd was indeed a cafe called Villa Cafe, but at No 96 ( possibly the other corner) was Mrs F L Reeves, stationers, sub post office etc.
So it seems both of you are right.

In 1949, at the crossroads of Villa St. and Nursery Road there appears to have been The Crown P.H. ,Villa Café, Singleton & Sons , packing case makers and Town Sub & M.O. Office (postmistress Mrs. F. L. Reeves ).
By 1968 the T.S.M.O. had moved into Nursery Road, where in the early 70's I spent many hours behind the counter stamping dockets and playing postmaster.

Colin

I can't remember much about the other shops on that corner, I have vivid memories of the cafe, I was the youngest member of staff at Watsons and had to go there every morning and afternoon for the sandwiches for the others. I remember one day I was feeling nauseous on the way down and when I walked in the smell of the food made me chuck up right in the midst of all the customers having their fry ups.:redface:.
A few yards up Villa St there was another small shop, a drapers I think and further up was Kents the weighing machine makers and another small grocery shop then, with a few houses in between there was Watson's Garage where I worked, we used to serve petrol through an arm that swung out over the footpath with an old hand wind up pump.

Opposite was an engineering factory, Padmores, they added a petrol forecourt and service bay in the later years. E.

Looking at the car in the corner of the picture,it looks like a Hillman Super Minx which was introduced in 1961.Hope this helps to narrow down the date.

Dave

Villa street/Nursery road.

linda harrington here. i was just reading all the messages about villa street and nursery road with great interest. i used to live a 118 villa st from 1958 until 1972. if the photo dave is on about show the four corners of villa st and nursery road i think its the same one i have. there is what looks like a hillman car outside the crown pub reg number is 771 aon. on the opposite corner is the villa cafe. on the 3rd corner is the fruit and veg shop. and on the fourth corner is the post office. there was indeed a drapers shop further up villa st another shop then the vine pub. i lived more or less opposit the vine. i am searching for any photos of the vine and the houses in villa street. i have quite a few of the bottom end of villa street but none of the top end where i lived. the only ones i have of the top end are of some factories and padmores garage. this photo i have is brillient as you can see right from the corner of villa street all the way to the top of nursery road. i can even see the no 8 bus coming down. i would be so happy if anyone could help me with any more photos. the date i have for this is the 10th october 1960.

villa street

hello linda

when we were kids going to st francis shool we used to go up villa street every day the school was in wills street.. later on in the early sixtes we moved to hunters road and used to go in the vine pub. the crown pub on the corner. my dad used to go in the oueens pub in farm street.. does the name george harrington mean anything to you .he used to go in the vine pub..further down tony comisky lived . next house to tony lived a girl called ann sirs. the cafe on the corner we used to get a penny drippin when we was kids go up villa street to school....happy days linda ........billy regan

villa street and the vine pub

hi billy boy. what a blast from the past. i should know george hes my dad. he went in most pubs round there not just the vine. and i dare say fell out of a few. ha ha. i have many happy memories of the old end and very often take a trip down there. of course villa st is sadly no longer there but hunters road is i think. i must be honest i cant remember you but i do remember jonny. what relation is he to you. i think maybe brother. can you say hello to him and appologise for not being allowed to walk round to the chippy with him. hope he remembers that. i still laugh about it now. thanks for getting in touch. hope we talk again. i could go on forever about the old days. they were the best by far. all the best lyn

villa st.

hi billy linda here. hope you are well. did you manage to talk to john yet. if so did he remember the chippy episode all them years ago.

Back