• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Square

What is the Big Sleuth? Saw one near the Bull Ring on Friday

Bob

A trail of painted bear sculptures all around Birmingham, Sandwell, Dudley, Solihull and Sutton Coldfield. For the Birmingham Children's Hospital Charity.

Olly the Octobear can be found near the bottom of the square.

At the top facing the Council House are:

Solar Polar

Art + Believe = Sunrise City

Spock

Sun and Moon Bear

If you go to the top of New Street, you will find

Marcus Bearlius

The trail ends on 17th September 2017. They will be auctioned off for charity in October.

A trail of painted bear sculptures all around Birmingham, Sandwell, Dudley, Solihull and Sutton Coldfield. For the Birmingham Children's Hospital Charity.

Olly the Octobear can be found near the bottom of the square.

At the top facing the Council House are:

Solar Polar

Art + Believe = Sunrise City

Spock

Sun and Moon Bear

If you go to the top of New Street, you will find

Marcus Bearlius

The trail ends on 17th September 2017. They will be auctioned off for charity in October.
Thank you, I do enjoy your photographs by the way, they are always so crisp and clear

Bob

Thanks Bob!

For some reason this market was in Victoria Square today. Not sure what for though!

It is there every Month on a Wednesday, it was much better when it was a Farmers Market, the stalls then carried on down New St sadly because of the work on the Gas Main in the Square they have had to reduce the number of stalls, this crack is thought by some to be a result of the digging trenches in the Square https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofar...ist-U2tXEq-LwQUee-K3Ddxm-qMbPoz-dMggNK-dGLbFE

Thanks Bob!

For some reason this market was in Victoria Square today. Not sure what for though!

Stitcher. Looking across the Square in the opposite direction in 1883 this is John Bright arriving at a reception at the Council House. It actually looked like an important square pre-modern development. I think the removal of Christ Church, then the later 1960s development changed all that, especially the demolition of Galloways Corner which replaced Christ Church.

Looking at Ell's new images it looks like in more recent times there have been moves to put the heart back into it. But can't really tell how far this has succeeded. It certainly looks busier (with people) than I remember it in the 80s. Viv.
image.jpeg

Looks like it Lady P although not for the reasons you'd expect !!! Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 20
Viv, Victoria Square had it's last major redevelopment in 1993.

Notice the balcony on the council house - where the Christmas tree and the poppies were (in 2010).

vvz.jpeg
I think this one ha been posted before, I looked but could not find it so I posted it.

Victoria Square seen from Eden Place from Starbucks. This was before it started to rain this morning. The Floozie in the Jacuzzi is visible from here. While sitting there, saw the new lady Lord Mayor and various veterans walk past.

Diversion to Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery for pedestrians is still one while Chamberlain Square is completely closed off for the Paradise Birmingham works.

Ell,

I take it that the old Westminster Bank on the corner of Eden Place is now Starbucks then?

Maurice

The building is quite new. Saw a sign inside saying Lloyds. So assume offices above are for Lloyds Bank.

This is the building at 125 Colmore Row. The NatWest Tower at 103 Colmore Row is now demolished.

Ell,

Thanks for your reply, but way back in the late 1950s this corner (opposite the City Treasurer's entrance) was occupied by the Westminster Bank, before it became part of NatWest. This isn't the old red sandstone building, so I presume that was demolished a while ago. The original building was a squarish boring-looking building. One more hits the dust, though as a building it was no great loss.

Maurice

The replacement building (Westminster Bank/Nat West) looks well thought through, reflecting some of the features/curves of the Council House next door. Viv.

Maurice - this is in the Pevsner book for Birmingham

No. 125, offices by the Sidell Gibson Partnership, 1999-2001. Tactful but less adventurous than their No. 5 Brindleyplace. The frame is heavily expressed in reconstituted stone, enclosing grey anodized metal windows, and a corner turret reflects a traditional Birmingham form.

The new 103 Colmore Row hasn't been built yet.

This was the view of the site from the bus several months ago.

Back