• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Velocette factories

Tim, after a second look you are correct about that one being a Triumph.

hi my husband has passed your email to me. My father was service manager at James Motorcycles and was the last person there when the factory was taken over by Suzuki. I think that was 1967/68 as far as I can remember.

There were various Veloce works in Birmingham, that at York Road was the last and longest lived, to my knowledge there was not a Veloce/Velocette factory in Meriden. It is a name that does travel back to the early days of motorcycle manufacture in Birmingham
The original Veloce [Velocette] works were in York Road Hall Green.When I was an apprentice printer in the 1960's we did
a lot of printing for this company including various manuals for the range of motorcycles that were in production.
The Japanese motorcycles came on the scene and Velocette were a little slow to get their range to the market in time to compete. A last ditch attempt was a scooter type machine but it did not appeal to the buying public.I think it was in the early 1970's that production stopped.
A motorcycle enthusiast/businessman bought a lot of parts which had not been used including tyres /headlights/Miller speedo clusters and many other parts [and possibly the name Velocette Motorcycles]
He had already done something similar with Vincent/ Scott/ and Royal Enfield.
By the the mid 1970's the business was situated on the corner of Old Bromford Lane and Bromford Lane next to the former Facchino's cornett factory [later Salisbury Transmissions]
Once more I came into contact with Velocette [now as a rep] producing reprints of the original manuals. The building looked very shabby from the road and was even worse inside ! BUT inside there were three large new machine tools which produced replica parts for the previous mentioned motorcycle models.
Eventually a development company bought the Salisbury factory and "encouraged "the owner of the motorcycle factory to move out!
The next move took Velocette to Meriden and the acquisition of the old original Triumph spares building which was situated across the road from the main Triumph works which had by now been redeveloped as a housing estate.
I continued to do work for David -the son of the original owner ,but then the work dried up

Colin Smith
Brummie Babbie

Thanks for that interesting update Colin, the history of the motor cycle industry is an important past of our industrial past. Lots of opinions as to the whys and wherefores .

A couple of early images of the works on the corner of York Road and Cateswell Road Hall Green c1930.

Hall Green Velocette Factory c1930.jpgHall Green York Road Velocette Works.JPG

A couple of early images of the works on the corner of York Road and Cateswell Road Hall Green c1930.

View attachment 133386View attachment 133387
I forgot to mention that the revived operation in Ward End and Meriden did huge export business particularly with Japan [ironic !] supplying spares to collectors who needed a particular replacement part.There is a big following in Japan for classic British Cars and Motorbikes.

It was said there were rare occasions [when there were still sufficient parts of a particular model] that a complete bike was produced to replace a missing chassis number [that came from a reliable source in the business]

When I passed through Meriden a few months ago I looked up the building but there was no Velocette signage to be seen
so I wonder if the Velocette Motorcycle Company still exists.

I noticed last week when driving along York Road that the newer building built for McDonald who briefly made domestic vacuum cleaners has also been demolished.
When Veloce closed, the factory was demolished and this new building was constructed to house this appliance manufacturer .This person [ Mr MacDonald ]who had been the former head of BSR record players at Cradley Heath
said he had designed a revolutionary carpet cleaning machine.
Later one of the Lucas companies operated out of the building for a number of years. Finally the name changed to a business that morphed out of Lucas

I was watching Military dealers on Quest and the dealer was buying a Welbike, I didn’t know anything about them so descended into a rabbit hole on the web and ended up back here !

With redevelopment of the Hall Green site of the Velocette factory in York Road, it is a great pity that there is to be no recognition of this once famous motorcycle manufacturer.
In their time they were amongst the most famous producers of motorcycles in the World.
They won many of the premier races throughout the World, including the Isle of Mann TT races on many occasions.
The developers of the housing estate would seem to be oblivious of the history of this site, and B'ham Council appear to of the same mind.
This company should have some recognition of their input into the City of B'hams great heritage.

With redevelopment of the Hall Green site of the Velocette factory in York Road, it is a great pity that there is to be no recognition of this once famous motorcycle manufacturer.
In their time they were amongst the most famous producers of motorcycles in the World.
They won many of the premier races throughout the World, including the Isle of Mann TT races on many occasions.
The developers of the housing estate would seem to be oblivious of the history of this site, and B'ham Council appear to of the same mind.
This company should have some recognition of their input into the City of B'hams great heritage.
Birmingham City Council has no interest whatsoever in the industrial heritage of this city, and the word "industry" appears to be a dirty word!!
PA739

The Velocette business was run by a Bertram Goodman, descendant of the original founder and the business was still active in 1970, when I dated his daughter Anne for a while. She was a regular rider of a Velocette machine at the time. I understand she later emigrated to Australia and married Norbert ? and as far as I know she lives there still, being active in the preservation movement for vintage Velocette machines.

The Velocette business was run by a Bertram Goodman, descendant of the original founder and the business was still active in 1970, when I dated his daughter Anne for a while. She was a regular rider of a Velocette machine at the time. I understand she later emigrated to Australia and married Norbert ? and as far as I know she lives there still, being active in the preservation movement for vintage Velocette machines.
Just remembered that Anne's name is Frampton. According to t'internet the Velocette preservation movement is quite active in Australia.

The last two Velocettes to leave the Hall Green assembly line. Viv.

2A576563-4ABA-4942-8986-8FD0EC76E011.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

The reason why Velocettes failed was the same as all the other great institutions - like Norton, Ariel, BSA Lucas Austin etc., in fact a pandemic which prevailed from Victorian times to eventually reduce this once great nation to one akin to a squabbling bannana republic.

The Cause?

In the selection of British Management, it was not WHAT you knew but WHO you knew.

i dont remembe the parks having them but i do remember the Police having noddy bikes that crept up behind you

Back