• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vauxhall gardens infants and junior school

Cheers phil
from that picture i dont even recognise it . I think they may have changed the building .

Hi Colin, the photo that Phil has taken is from the Barrack St entrance, a lot of the kids (Perhaps including yourself) would have approached the school from the other side via 'the grass hills' as us locals called them and entered the school through the large playground at the front that faced onto Vauxhall Road directly opposite the Co-op dairy, from that angle the school building would look considerably different to the great pic Phil as supplied from the Barrack St entrance..

re vauxhall gardens infants and junior school i went there from thames tower nursery in 1965 till 1969 i am 48 now i remember the annex i think it was part of duddeston manor school we had bottle of milk with straws i was in miss hoppitt class with gary forman, and anthony bradbury another teacher was called miss bird (angela) i know because she had the same name as me . miss hopitt played the piano .

Hi angela
Iwent there the same time as you but left 18 months before you but my sister is the same age as you her name is jayne walker she would have been in your year .
colin

Hi glenn
the picture i think may be the annexe behind duddeston manor that was were i went i never attended the main school opposite the dairy except when we did assembly twice a week there.
colin

Hello Colin,
No the photo is not of the annexe I went to the Vauhall Gardens buildings in both Barrack St and the one in Wardlow Rd (The back of Duddeston Manor school). I took the photograph and can assure you beyond any doubt that it was taken from the Barrack St entrance of Vauxhall Gardens. What I will try to do over the next few days is to take another photo from the same vantage point but try to get the main part of the school building in as the photo I took only shows Miss Soppits class (Infants 5 year olds) but of course there is a lot more to the school than just what appears in the photo,this may be why it resembled the annexe building as there are similarities.

Last edited:
Hi Glenn
I under stand what you mean thats why i said on a earlier post that i wasnt sure as it looked different. the annexe was only a small temp building next to duddeston manor. sorry for the confusion.
colin

hi all
I have managed to find a piccy of the vauxhall gardens football team and 2 students in there uniforms if any one else has any i would be gratful to see them.
colin
Glenn Goodman & Francis Goodman in Vauxhall Gardens uniforms, photo taken in Oak Cottages Erskine Street.

Glen here abouts in Erskine St was Oak Cottages i lived At no3 There was the Adelaide Then The Sharkeys Then us the Williams Then Harris,s coal yard. Dek

Oak Cottages was situated just beyond the railway bridge at the foot of Erskine Street opposite Dollman Street. My Nans Grocers shop (Dolly / Doris Goodman) was directly opposisite the cafe (Moiras cafe in the late 60's early 70's) just before the Midland Tavern which was oposite Inkerman Street.

Thanks glen thats where i thought it was it was like a mews houses down both sides i lived in erskine St for most of my childhood went to St Vincents watched Vauxhall gardens being built when we wanted a few pennies for sweets we used to climb over the railway club wall grab a few empty bottles and take them back to the midland tavern. Dek

Here is a photo taken at the front of Vauxhall Gardens school(photo taken circa 1968) The front of the school faced the co-op dairy on Vauxhall Road.
From left to right Alan Goodman, Glenn Goodman (Me), Francis Goodman & Malcolm Ward. View attachment 45151

Back