• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vauxhall gardens infants and junior school

C

colin walker

Hi just wondering if anybody remembers this school ever the main building or the annex. Ive just been on friends reunited and found some pictures but waiting to recieve them. if any one remembers this school or has piccies it would be great.

Hi Colin

I have worked out why I can't remember this school. You will remember you tried to explain where it was on another thread. The reason is, when I was of school age it wasn't even built. I think it was built after I left school and therefore it would not have registered with me.

It is in Barrack St, and it is not the Barrack St I remember. I even passed it twice last year when I was taking photo's of the old St James's site. It didn't even register then.

Phil

Hi phil I thought that may be the reason . I actually think the annex was built for duddeston manor but the main school was behind that big grass area just passed reversby walk past the block of flats.

hi all
I have managed to find a piccy of the vauxhall gardens football team and 2 students in there uniforms if any one else has any i would be gratful to see them.
colin

Hi Again Colin

As you know I know nothing about the school you are seeking information about, but the photo interests me. Was it taken in Erskine St opposite Dollman St? The first one I mean.

Phil

Hi phil you may be right but i think it was that fctoy on the corner of dollman and erskine.
colin

Colin

Thats what caught my eye as soon as I saw the photo, I must have walked past there that many times. You haven't got another one showing the café on the other corner have you?

Phil

no phil
I havnt got one of the cafe i used to go in there in the 60s to get my jubble

I used to go in there in the 60's after more than a Jubbly. I must have made a great impression. She joined the army the day after my first and only date.

Phil

Colin

I used every pub round there, The one you are talking about is the Midland I used it occasionally. I think it is still open now, The last thing I heard about it was there was a shooting there in the middle of the night. So I can't see me travelling over there fore a pint in the near future.

Phil

my earliest days of pubs was that one on cato st if i remember correctly it was the monkey house

We are going way off thread here and if we are not careful we'll get our legs slapped. I'll just say that I think everybody in Nechells had their first pint at the monkey house. They didn't care how old you were there.

Phil

Hi Again Colin

As you know I know nothing about the school you are seeking information about, but the photo interests me. Was it taken in Erskine St opposite Dollman St? The first one I mean.

Phil
My name is Glenn Goodman, the photograph taken by my dad Frank Goodman is of me & my younger brother Francis. It was taken in the yard of Oak Cottages in Erskine Street, the factory in the background was Parnells or Purnells. My Nan (Dolly Goodman) lived in the shop No 41 Erskine Street.

Last edited:
Colin

Thats what caught my eye as soon as I saw the photo, I must have walked past there that many times. You haven't got another one showing the café on the other corner have you?

Phil
I have one of the cafe somewhere (Myras Cafe), I wil post it as soon as I find it

Myras Cafe in background.
Pic 1. With our boats ready to go to Ward End park to sail them.

Pic 2. In case anyone is wondering the reason my brother & I (Glenn & Francis Goodman) were sulking in the 2nd photo, we were made to stop playing & come & have our phto taken...Adults eh ?? They just don't care.
Babe in arms of my mom (Joyce Goodman) is Alan & my Nan Dolly Goodman is on the right. (She ran the shop in Erskine St) opposite the cafe).

Last edited:
Hi
when was that picture taken . and was it outside the outdoor
colin

Hi Colin,
The group photograph was taken outside my Nans shop (41 Erskine St) which was opposite Dollman St. I think the outdoor you refer to must be the one at the pub at the bottom of Erskine St/Inkerman St (The Midland Tavern). The Photograph was taken in 1966

Last edited:
Hi Glenn
not been around for a week or so the out door i mean is the one on dolman street opposite the cafe and the railway sidings the people who run the out door were the fellows they had a son 3 years younger than me his name was ricky fellows.
colin

Hello Colin,

The Name Ricky Fellows rings a bell with me, I may have been at Vauxhall Gardens at the same time possibly.
I can't place the outdoor you refer to to be honest.

I was born in 1959 & lived in Erskine St from then until leaving in 1970
but my Dad lived there from 1928 so i'll ask him if he recalls that outdoor (He is now 80 years old but his memory is still very good)

I recall being taken into the Cafe by my big sister on ocassions & I remember getting little packs of salted nuts from the outdoor at the Midland Tavern at the very end of Erskine St next to the railway.

Hi Glenn
you must be a year younger than .when i went to vauxhall gardens from devon street school. i had a sister called jayne walker who would have been the same age as you . do you remember that indian teacher mr daz i think his name was. I left vauxhall gardens and went to duddeston manor.
colin

Hello Colin,
Yes I do remember Jayne quite well, please pass on my best wishes (She may not have any memory of me). I also went to Duddeston Manor after Vauxhall Gardens. The think the Indian teacher your possibly thinking of was Mr. Rea (Pronounced Ray). I remember him paricurlarly well as I was once choking on a boiled sweet & he dislodged it for me.

yes your right glen it was mr rae i remember now you say it. did you do those court rooms in his class and the open debates . he was a strange teacher but very good.
jayne does remember you
colin

Colin

As you know, I have told you that I have no memory of Vauxhall Gardens school I only remember the site as a green field where I remember occasionally doing some courting. Previous to that I remember it as houses.

I was down that way at the back end of last year taking some photo's, so I took a look at this school to see if I could remember it, but I couldn't. I must have moved on by the time it was built.

I paused to take this photo, and I thought you might like to see it.

Phil

Attachments

• Vauxhall Gardens School 2 Nov 2008 .jpg
    Vauxhall Gardens School 2 Nov 2008 .jpg
    136 KB · Views: 10
Cheers phil
from that picture i dont even recognise it . I think they may have changed the building .But thanks for the picture. I see from all threads your knowledge is still growing.
colin

Colin

Yes, but isn't it fun to learn about something you enjoy learning and not those stuffy old lessons at school.

Phil

Back