• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

vacuum Plant Attendant

barrie

master brummie
On my Grandfathers death cert, it gives his occupation as "a vacuum plant attendant" can anyone tell me what this would have involved please.

Barrie.

Thank you Alf. Both those sites seem to be modern job titles, my grandfather died in 1937 and it is info from around then that I need. Thank you for responding though.

Barrie.

lots of department stores, shops and factories had vacuum collection pipes for collecting data and money from different departments I would be inclined to look at this aspect as there were lot's of them around in the 1950's and earlier they must have had engineers operating the machinery hence the need for a vacuum plant attendant I hope this helps in some way

Also possibly a hospital connection too? they use Vacuum although I can't honestly say they would have back then it deserves more research though?

Back