• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

upper thomas street school

:angel:Aston, I'm sure Sylvia Saywers will tell you if I'm correct or not, but I think you will find it is:
Saturday July 7th at The Barn Witton around 7:30 pm.
I intend to be there too all being well :cool:
(So I hope I've got it right :rolleyes: :) :D )

UTS/Burlington Street School Reunion

Hi Aston, as Pom has posted the Reunion which is ALWAYS on the 7th July, is to be held at the Barn Social Club, Brookvale Road, from 7 p.m. onwards. Entry fee is £1.00 per person to cover the cost of the room hire, which is the upstairs ballroom. Looking forward to seeing you, and as many ex-pupils as possible.

Thanks Sylvia, Hope To Be There All Being Well.
Had A Good Time Last Year Meeting All You Forum Guy & Galls
Aston

Further to the photos on display,the connection to Barry Canning and Ron Fowler(Upper Thomas St, Villa cup winners),was that Peter Canning and myself .Derek Morris(Ron Fowler,s cousin) won the villa cup for UTS in 1961,Peter now owns a hotel in Wales.We both keep in touch on a regular basis,although he is always too busy to attend the 7/7 reunions

is there anyone out there got any photos of the school in and around 1963 to 65 would love to see them thanks harley.

I am still looking for a photo of UPPER THOMAS STREET School can any one help,I remember a guy at the reunion haveing a folder with one photo of the school(which he said he would email to me but never did)HEL;P PLEASE.
THE BARON (ASTON)

Re the Barons photo of the Villa Cup winners it was taken at Villa Park just
after UTS had won the cup in 1945. I was captain of the reserve team and had just been promoted to the first team when I moved on to
Handsworth Junior Technical School before the cup final that year. The two masters in the photo are Hill (left) and Tomlinson (right). The reserves
in civvies are Wolverson (left) and I think Weston(right). Jones (left of the
goalkeeper) and Morris (behind the Villa Cup) both played for the county
eleven. I too have a copy of the photo but unfortunately have to rely on
my memory for names.
I attended UTS from 1943 (my class "master" was Miss. Chapman) until 1945 when my class master was Mr. Lloyd. The headmaster during this
period was Mr. S. Ogden. During this time I lived in Vicarage Road and
several of the football team were neighbours. Ronnie Wolverson was a close friend of mine and we played football together. I left Birmingham
in 1953 and moved around the UK until I settled in Cheshire upon my
retirement.

Still no pic of my old school? PLEASE CAN ANY ONE HELP or point me in the right direction I can get one?

Thanks John, thats just great, I had an 8ft father chrismas hung on the out side one year, painted by me while in mr Evans art class.
I can now show my grankid my old school.
THANK A BUNCH

Baron,
ref.Your football team from1947,the two teachers were Mr.Hill on the left and Mr.Tomlinson,on the right.

Another thought on U.T.S.I still have the school bell.Miss Jackson the headmistress in the juniors threw it in the waste paper basket,because it was broken,I took it home, and my dad repaired it,a simple brazing job.

wow its great to see my old school i used to live at 103 clifton road in 1963

Thought this bit from 1971 (I've got it as the Birmingham Post, but am not aure if it wasn't the Mail) might be of interest
Mike

Thanks for that Mike.As an ex U.T.S.boy (1941-1951),I found this write up a fair description,although they failed to mention George Canning who became lord mayor of Birmingham,and his younger brother who played for Aston Villa.
Other omissions were,Ken Williams (not the swimmer),who should have boxed in the Helsinki olympics in 1952 ( he was rated 4th.in the world at his weight...by the yanks... and they know something about boxing),but had his call up at the same time.Then there was Ronnie Williams,who became a test pilot for the R.A.F.Nigel Mansell,was also a pupil in his early day's.

I remember playing a Docker Shield cricket semi-final against Upper Thomas St (v Stockland Green). Must have been 1964/5. We played at Georfe Ellison's sports ground and it was a tie. The replay was at Spring Lane Playing fields and Upper Thomas St won. Anyone know if they won the shield?

Also lived opposite a pupil from the school, Trevor Atkins. Anyone remember him?

thankyou for reply , new on here so a little clumsy . yes i remember him ! i think his mum and dad had a newspaper shop on aston cross . the only other name i can recall from that school is aubry turner .

Roger welcome to the Forum, you may not be aware but we have a Reunion every year of ex pupils from Burlington/Upper Thomas Street Schools.
This year as usual it will be on the 7th July at The Barn Social Club, Brookvale Road, opposite Witton Cemetery, from 7 p.m. until late, fee £1.00
we always have a great night and you would be most welcome to come.

Back