• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unknown building by Millenium Point

Maris

master brummie
Does anyone know what this building was near Millenium Point ?
Anyone have any photos of the building in its prime ?
Shame its going.......

Hi Maris - You will not have to wait long as this was featured on here a while back but my memory is not working yet.

I believe there is an old photo on the Gosta Green and Duddeston forum don,t know what page .Dek

Cheers Winston, it would be good to some photos of it in its prime.
I`ll post a photo of the Moby Dick Pub in the pubs section, wonder if that will be demolished ?

here some more photos on this link.so much for being a listed building.nothings safe with this council. click on the title saying. co-operative wholesale society-birmingham on...
[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/rubery_station/300814876/"]Co-operative Wholesale Society - Birmingham on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

It seems to me quite a few listed buildings "mysteriously" catch fire and then aren't worth saving.
Don't get me started on that subject!!! FAR too many places you will find listed, have also had planning permission turned down for certain developments. Then they strangley burn down and there is nothing left to do but demolish and rebuild in a totally different stylethat would have never been allowed with the original building in place.
Conspiracy theory maybe, but it does seem too much of a coincidence that the following have gone the same way:
Co-op Belmont Row, Sloane House Sloane Street, Langley Maltings, Jn Miller wolverhampton, Barrowclift Spinnings, Progressive engineering, to name just a few.

most of the pubs have gone the same way.the price of drinks and the smoking ban helped to close most of the pubs.then they suddenly get set on fire. cannot remember a pub getting burnt down when we had smokers in them. the goverment have made a good job of closing the working mans pubs and clubs.

Here's the original post I put up after I'd been inside. I wish I'd made it in there before the fire ruined the place. Such a waste, it was all original inside fully decked out with wood panelled offices and the like!!! It makes me so mad!!!!

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23613

Great pics Virusman, well they would be if it weren't so sad to see the state of the building. Nice to see pics of it intact.

Back