• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

United Reformed Church, Holly Lane, Erdington.

Alanh

I have been a member of Holly Lane Church since around 1980 and a few building changes happened prior to me joining. Without being really aware at the time, the main doors to the church were replaced in the 90's and they too are now in need of being replaced.
It would be great to replace the doors with as near as possible doors designed to imitate the original doors to the church building as were fitted when the church was erected.
Is there anywhere I might be able to find/see photographs of the church building taken back in the 1970/1980s?
The church is located on the corner of Holly Lane and Orphanage Road, Erdington.

Thank you very much in anticipation of you being able to point me in the right direction to achieve this goal.

Alan Roberts

Not sure, but try just googling the Church’s name and location in Google Images. Also, there is an Internet Database website, and they have a lot of videos/pictures. You might look for the pictures taken in the area, and maybe the Church will happen to be in them.
You can also ask locals whether they have any old pictures of the street and the houses. I managed to find old pictures of my First Church Love this way. One of the people living nearby just liked photography and had a great collection of photos that his children didn’t really care about, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I have been a member of Holly Lane Church since around 1980 and a few building changes happened prior to me joining. Without being really aware at the time, the main doors to the church were replaced in the 90's and they too are now in need of being replaced.
It would be great to replace the doors with as near as possible doors designed to imitate the original doors to the church building as were fitted when the church was erected.
Is there anywhere I might be able to find/see photographs of the church building taken back in the 1970/1980s?
The church is located on the corner of Holly Lane and Orphanage Road, Erdington.

Thank you very much in anticipation of you being able to point me in the right direction to achieve this goal.

Alan Roberts
Hello Alan,
Welcome to the forum. I missed your thread when you posted it but went to Erdington Historical Society last night and it was announced that you were searching for a picture of your church doors. I know I've seen one but where I just can't remember.

Firstly, I expect you've tried Erdington Library but wondered if you'd tried Sutton? Besides microfiches of local newspapers they have a large selection of reference books on the shelves. They also have newscuttings in large yellow books and there may be something in there. They we assembled by a member of the Erdington Historical Society and I've found one or two things in these.

Are you able to go to Sutton? I usually go on a Tuesday afternoon but we're away next week and might not be back in time. However, depending on your timescale I will be going the week after so please let me know if I can help then.

The only other suggestion I can make is that you appeal for wedding photos. When we were looking for details of our church stained glass windows (St Michael's, Boldmere) before they were destroyed by fire, we found several wedding photos very helpful.

Good Luck with your search,

just a quick question...was this church previously known under another name...

lyn

Alan, As promised I looked for photos of your church today. I'm not sure if this newspaper cutting is of any use. It's a photostat of a newscutting. If not it has the date of the newspaper on so you would be able to look up the original at Central Library in Birmingham. It's from 'The News' which I take to mean the Sutton News as it's in Sutton Library but it may be the Erdington News. I think the contents were pretty much the same.

URC 1.jpg

Back