• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uffculme Open Air School

jule

proper brummie kid
My mom used go to this school and i wanted to find out about the school, as i am doing a book on the year she was born for her 70th Birthday. So if anyone used to go there please let me know. Thanks alot julie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: did any one go to uffcome open air school, think it was either Moseley or Kings h

Hi - Pomgolian had a Sister who went to Uffculme School and yes it is/was in Kings Heath. It gets few mentions on here so try a search.

Re: did any one go to uffcome open air school, think it was either Moseley or Kings h

Hi Jule

I don't know a lot about the school only what my brother in law told me. He was a resident there for a short while in the 50's. He suffered with asthma and the school was for all types of breathing complaints.

It was an open air school in a real meaning of the word. All the windows were continually open and the beds were pushed outside during the day. Winter and summer, he said that he was never warm there in all the time he spent there.

Phil

Julie,

It is Uffculme School. If you try a search it comes up with a few messages but little information. However, you will see that one of our members, George Wheeler, went there. I suggest you send him an I.M and he may be able to help.

Old Boy

I went to Uffculme only for six months and the school changed completely the year i left,1966,when they reopened in September it was for special needs children and i think only infants and juniors,its in Queensbridge Rd Kingsheath,opposite Queensbridge school
the classrooms had glass doors that could be opened all around,so in the summer it was like being outside,

The link I included takes you to a page on the Kings Heath Website which has quite a bit about the school and it beginnings.

View attachment 47936heres a little photo,when i met my husband in 1969,i was suprised to learn he had gone there to a few years before me,The Cadbury family gave it to the Education dept to use as a school,at one time it was a family home,They also gave another family home,just a little further into the city centre,Mosely Hall hospital,just after the war it was used for injured soldiers to recuperate,later on it became a childrens hospital,i had the pleasure of a 5mth stay there,and last i heard it was for stroke patients to recuperate

Hello Jule,

If you go to the library you can get a bookout of the reference section titled 'A Breath of Fresh Air' it's about all of the open air schools that belonged to Birmingham Council, I think you will find it very interesting. I went to two of these schools, Cropwood which was in Blackwell, Bromsgrove, and also Marsh Hill Open Air School which was in Erdington.

Regards Trebor

My mom used go to this school and i wanted to find out about the school, as i am doing a book on the year she was born for her 70th Birthday. So if anyone used to go there please let me know. Thanks alot julie.
IHi Julie, my brother Ray who was born in 1927, three years before me, went there during the war I think it
was off Wake Green Road but cant be sure, it so long ago, it was somewhere in the Moseley/Kings Heath area, no sorry, my sister may remember I will ask, Ray has been dead some years now. Bernard

N
View attachment 47936heres a little photo,when i met my husband in 1969,i was suprised to learn he had gone there to a few years before me,The Cadbury family gave it to the Education dept to use as a school,at one time it was a family home,They also gave another family home,just a little further into the city centre,Mosely Hall hospital,just after the war it was used for injured soldiers to recuperate,later on it became a childrens hospital,i had the pleasure of a 5mth stay there,and last i heard it was for stroke patients to recuperate
Nice view of George Wheeler's old class rooms, didn't like the winters much but wasn't to bad in the summer. I was sent their while my mother worked in a munitions factory and my father was in the RAF. They used to make sure we had three proper meals a day. Was it not situated off Queensbridge Road in Kings Heath?

Last edited:

N Nice view of George Wheeler's old class rooms, didn't like the winters much but wasn't to bad in the summer. I was sent their while my mother worked in a munitions factory and my father was in the RAF. They used to make sure we had three proper meals a day. Was it not situated off Queensbridge Road in Kings Heath?
Hi George it was in Queensbridge Rd but it was not a boarding school when i went there,just a day school,but they concentrated very much on your health,there was a full time nurse,and we only had dinner there like any other school,when my husband was there a few years earlier they did have 3 meals a day,even though they weren't boarders

Hello Liz,

I think I was there during the latter end of the war years. We did get three meals a day. You had to be there by 8.30 for breakfast. When school finished you were given tea and then kept until 5.30. The idea was I suppose that you didn't get home to an empty house. I used to take the number 11 bus from by the church to Acocks Green but forbidden to use the tram to get there. The only teacher I remember was Mr Humphries in the middle classroom. making us go round in bare feet and shorts in the summer would today cause panic amongst the health and safety brigade.I also used to get sun ray sessions to try and keep me healthy.

George

Hello George it was in the 60s when i went there,so i guess a lot had changed,but as i said my husband went there a few year before me, and he had all his meals there,it was a lovely place to spend your school days,with all those ground,not like your usual concrete jungle.

hi Bernie, thanks for that link, its a start for my book for my mom. Julie

Hi mom told me about the school having all the windows open come winter, summer she said it was always cold in there. jule

Hi thanks for that reply, i will go to the library now i know there is somwthing on the school. Jule

Hello Liz,

I think it must have been about 1945/46 when I there but I can't think of any event to tie the date down. The thing I disliked was that we were made to rest on a camp bed for one hour at lunch time. In the summer it was outdoors but in the winter in the gymnasium that did not have any walls. Three things that have left me traumatised for the rest of my life was the awful tapioca pudding and the bitter broad leaved watercress that was served up twice a week and having to wear clogs for the gardening sessions.

George

Un-fortunately the link provided by Bernie to my website in post #2, leads to a corrupted cached page, which has since been up-dated please try https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/UFFCULME.htm
Most of my information came from the book mentioned by Trebor in post #8, "A Breath of Fresh Air" by Francis Wilmot & Pauline Saul, which appears quite often on eBay, it cover the Birmingham Open-Air Schools 1911-1970.

Colin

Hello Liz,

I think it must have been about 1945/46 when I there but I can't think of any event to tie the date down. The thing I disliked was that we were made to rest on a camp bed for one hour at lunch time. In the summer it was outdoors but in the winter in the gymnasium that did not have any walls. Three things that have left me traumatised for the rest of my life was the awful tapioca pudding and the bitter broad leaved watercress that was served up twice a week and having to wear clogs for the gardening sessions.

George
Hello George all that had stopped when i was there although my husband said they used to have a rest after lunch,we never,tapioca pudding well,who could like that,we did used to do a bit of weeding in the garden,but the surroundings were nice for a school don't you think.

My father told me me he went to Queensbridge School as he had chest problems in his youth he would now be in his late 90's. I worked at Uffuclme clinic for the health authority in the mid 1970's when it was a phyciatric clinic and the opeon air school was at the bottom of the grounds. The food used to be taken by an electric milk float to the school and the grounds where lovely. opposite the coach house entrance was a unit where they used to study monkeys.. I spent many a good half hour talking to the staff and watching them. Chamblerlains House was next door to Uffuculme at the end of Queensbridge Road and you could go though the groundsof Uffulcume and have a look inside at the weekends. Uffulcume was an impressive building and the conserveratory was used as a dining room for residents. I did not appreciate at the time how lucky I was to work there. I now work for the Education Department and Cropwood house that others have mentioned and Hunters Hill School was also given to the city by the Cadbury family and was used as an opeon air school. Anyone got any information on Hunters Hill or Cropwood House I would be extreamly interested

I am now 77 and was at Uffculme Open Air school towards the end of WW2. I was probably about ten years old. From what I remember of it there were four classrooms, a large open gym and the dining area, I think this was the same building that housed the medical centre and the showers, this was by the main entrance. there was also a sick bay that was located away from the main complex towards the playing field and the school gardens. I can't remember if or not it was boys only, The school at Hunters Hill was operating during this period, could that one have been for girls? I still remember the bitter tasting watercress served with some meals

One of my brothers, Ray went to Uffcume, think it was Kings Heath/Moseley way somewhere,
later on he had a Open Heart operation at the QE, he died some years ago in the doctors
waiting room at Yardley Wood, Bernard

I can only remember two names from that school, one was a close friend named Roy Vincent who lived in Shirley and a lad named with the surname Starky

I was known as Anthony when i was at uffcome school in kings heath,now known as Tony Welby.I remember being there around 1954 to 56 ish.I am now 65 years old,and would like to contact the first love of my life.Her name was Yvonne Joy.I remember always making sure we got to get to sleep on the afternoon rest beds,and sit together when listening to listen with mother ,or throwing bean bags at each other.We had great fun rolling snow down the hill to make a huge snowman.I would love to know that Yvonne is Keeping well and happy.If anybody knows her please tell her to watch me on You Tube.type in,<tony welby harmonica>.If you read this Yvonne,Kiss Kiss Kiss,

Dose anybody know of a late pupil of uffcome school with the name of Yvonne Joy,although it might have changed since such a long time ago.Mid 50s.

I was known as Anthony when i was at uffcome school in kings heath,now known as Tony Welby.I remember being there around 1954 to 56 ish.I am now 65 years old,and would like to contact the first love of my life.Her name was Yvonne Joy.I remember always making sure we got to get to sleep on the afternoon rest beds,and sit together when listening to listen with mother ,or throwing bean bags at each other.We had great fun rolling snow down the hill to make a huge snowman.I would love to know that Yvonne is Keeping well and happy.If anybody knows her please tell her to watch me on You Tube.type in,<tony welby harmonica>.If you read this Yvonne,Kiss Kiss Kiss,Ph,01886888019.

hi tony..just watched your you tube clip...although its not yet 5.30 in the morning i felt like dancing lol...wonderful entertainment from you and the band...

cheers

lyn

I was at Uffculme open air school around 1943-44, the only name I can remember is my friend Roy Vincent who lived in Shirley. I can't remember there being any girls at the school, was it boys only in those days>

Last edited:

I went to Blackwell Open Air school, possibly for a couple of years. I was very young at the time and can't remember, but I hated the place and was so unhappy there. The food was dreadful, burned porridge, and milk straight from the cow, which I refused to drink. It was a beautiful place though, a big house in wonderful grounds. Owned by Cadburys. It was close to Bromgrove and the Lickey Hills. Does anyone remember this school?

Re: did any one go to uffculme open air school, think it was either Moseley or Kings

This thread has brough back an odd memory to me! I didn't go to the school though I'm afraid.

When I saw the word Uffculme it rung a bell from the past and I couldn't think why. I just remembered that I went to see the Steve Gibbons Band play at Uffculme Clinic in about 1974 - I'm not sure why they played a gig there?! Can't recall all the details.

Re: did any one go to uffculme open air school, think it was either Moseley or Kings

When I was a pupil there in the forties it only had four class rooms, dining room and a medical centre but I suppose it has since enlarged. It did have very extensive grounds, a small lake and a football pitch

Back