• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tucker Eyelets

Angela has sent me the remaining pages of the pamphlet and , after reduction they are given in the next few posts

Attachments

• img108A.jpg
    img108A.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 58
  • img110A.jpg
    img110A.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 67
  • img112A.jpg
    img112A.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 57
  • img115A.jpg
    img115A.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 54
  • img117A.jpg
    img117A.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 53
Second batch

Attachments

• img119A.jpg
    img119A.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 46
  • img125A.jpg
    img125A.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 41
  • img122A.jpg
    img122A.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 43
  • img121A.jpg
    img121A.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 41
  • img126A.jpg
    img126A.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 47
  • img127A.jpg
    img127A.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 43
Third batch

Attachments

• img128A.jpg
    img128A.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 48
  • img131A.jpg
    img131A.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 40
  • img136A.jpg
    img136A.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 40
  • img135A.jpg
    img135A.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 38
  • img134A.jpg
    img134A.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 36
  • img137A.jpg
    img137A.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 39
Final batch. If anyone has any trouble reading the pages after clicking on the photo, then if you save to your computer, you can enlarge to view

Attachments

• img138A.jpg
    img138A.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 45
  • img139A.jpg
    img139A.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 45
  • img140A.jpg
    img140A.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 40
  • img141A.jpg
    img141A.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 38
  • img142A.jpg
    img142A.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 41
thanks for posting mike...

angela what a wonderful booklet..there cant be many of those left around...i love the announcements of births and marriages as well...it really seems as though tuckers thought a lot of their workers...thank you for sharing it with us all..ps wonder if any of our members are mentioned in it..

lyn

thanks for posting mike...

angela what a wonderful booklet..there cant be many of those left around...i love the announcements of births and marriages as well...it really seems as though tuckers thought a lot of their workers...thank you for sharing it with us all..ps wonder if any of our members are mentioned in it..

lyn
No problem, my mom and dad are in the wedding announcement. My mom keeps a lots of stuff, we even have a prisoner of war stamp token of the amount 3d and a newspaper clipping of my granddad in a newspaper after coming back from the D-Day landings wounded. Yes will be interesting to see if anyone else is mentioned in the Tuckers booklet, yes they did look after their workers well.

I have an old brochure which might be of interest and a few other bits of old history on our facebook page - Tucker Rivet

Attachments

• IMG-20160826-03514.jpg
    IMG-20160826-03514.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 28
  • tucker.jpg
    tucker.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 28
IMG_20161230_154443.jpg IMG_20161230_154415.jpg

Hi, I'm Greg.
My partner Ann's late father Norman bought this new in the late '50s, I believe.
It is in mint condition; apart from the outside of the box which had been shunted around his workshops for more than 50 years.
Just thought I'd share it with you.

wow thanks for sharing that with us greg...well worth hanging onto...as you most likely know tuckers is no more...all that has been retained after demo is the gate house..

lyn

While clearing out in my late parent's house recently, I have found some Insight magazines and various other Tuckers papers which belonged to my father.
There is also a staff photograph - from the 50's or early 60's I guess - taken in the canteen.

If anyone on the BHF would be interested in having these I would be happy to send them, I don't like throwing things away if they are of interest to someone.

While clearing out in my late parent's house recently, I have found some Insight magazines and various other Tuckers papers which belonged to my father.
There is also a staff photograph - from the 50's or early 60's I guess - taken in the canteen.

If anyone on the BHF would be interested in having these I would be happy to send them, I don't like throwing things away if they are of interest to someone.
I would love to have these as I am thinking of writing a book on Tucker's as my dad worked there! Can I refund you the postage? My address is:

Last edited:
Yes certainly Gina.
No need to send me any postage, I am in charge of the franking machine at work!

I have made a note of your address, I suggest you edit your email and remove it - not good to have personal info on the internet.

Yes certainly Gina.
No need to send me any postage, I am in charge of the franking machine at work!

I have made a note of your address, I suggest you edit your email and remove it - not good to have personal info on the internet.
Thank you so much for that - I am a local historian. I tried to get into the factory when it was closed to remove stuff from the archive but the security firm would not let me in! I also contribute to and collect things for Lucas Memories where Mom worked! All I have is Dad's leaving certificate from there (after 36 years service!)

You are very welcome, I will post them to you tomorrow.
I am most grateful - after my use they will end up in the Local Studies Library in Birmingham. My particular interest is the industrial history of Bham and its workers and there is little on Tucker's though lots on Rover, Cadbury and Lucas etc!! Thanks again!

You are very welcome, I will post them to you tomorrow.
Received with many thanks and I was pleased to find two photos of Dad in the magazines. I am collecting industrial memorabilia for the local studies library. I am afraid I don't know the gentleman in Landudno you mention. I do remember Dad speaking of Bill Lawlor. Did you say your dad's name was Sheldon? I do remember Dad speaking of a D? Sheldon. I will look in his address book. I don't see Dad on the photo but I believe it was taken in the canteen where I went to children's Christmas parties.

Glad you received the envelope ok!
Dad was Ron Spencer but yes, I think there was someone with the surname Sheldon that he used to mention.
I remember the Christmas parties in the Canteen too! Walking through the factory to get there and that particular smell- I guess it was the oil on the machines.

Glad you received the envelope ok!
Dad was Ron Spencer but yes, I think there was someone with the surname Sheldon that he used to mention.
I remember the Christmas parties in the Canteen too! Walking through the factory to get there and that particular smell- I guess it was the oil on the machines.
I do remember that name - I will check in Dad's old address book. He mentioned various names. I am still in touch with a few Tucker's men - Andy Morris, John Murray, Maurice Frankham. I visit John and will take the magazines to show him as he features in them a bit. I think it is so sad they knocked that lovely building down!

I am a Trustee of the Rootes Archive Centre Trust in Banbury - we look after the Rootes Group engineering drawings, a collection bequeathed some years ago to the RACT by Peugeot PSA. The collection contains several thousand drawings sourced from the Pressed Steel Co of Cowley. PSC built, painted and partially trimmed most Rootes cars and for many other manufacturers as well. PSC were a giant user of Tucker Eyelet products for decades.

When we can we help current enthusiasts wanting to check drawing specs or to re-manufacture parts. Lately we have been asked about Tucker Eyelet Co Ltd pop rivets by Sunbeam Alpine / Tiger owners. Apparently 44 of the TLRC 316 pop rivet were used on the cars. Please see drawing attached.
I've tried Stanley here in England who are unable to help. Hence my appeal to this Forum and former employees of Tucker Eyelet, who might just know of some old stock or another UK manufacturer.
Graham Vickery - Rootes Archive Trust Centre

Attachments

• H114404.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 21
Graham
Your attachment seems to me to come up as a very small square , which does not seem to save, and so I cannot save and enlarge, even though it is 771 kb

Graham
Your attachment seems to me to come up as a very small square , which does not seem to save, and so I cannot save and enlarge, even though it is 771 kb
Ok lets try that upload again. Here it as as pdf file. Hope this is readable.

Attachments

• TLRC 316.pdf
    304.1 KB · Views: 36
My father might have been able to help as he worked in the R&D department but sadly he's no longer alive.
Hope you able to get some information on the product.

I do remember that name - I will check in Dad's old address book. He mentioned various names. I am still in touch with a few Tucker's men - Andy Morris, John Murray, Maurice Frankham. I visit John and will take the magazines to show him as he features in them a bit. I think it is so sad they knocked that lovely building down!
Maurice Frankham (American car enthusiast) took £5.00 each off Bill While and John Murray in 1987 by getting his golf handicap down to 12 before either of them.
There may have been more than one J. Sheldon but perhaps the best known was the Production Director Mr. J (Jack) Sheldon who pre-dated Mr. B A Stammers.

Maurice Frankham (American car enthusiast) took £5.00 each off Bill While and John Murray in 1987 by getting his golf handicap down to 12 before either of them.
There may have been more than one J. Sheldon but perhaps the best known was the Production Director Mr. J (Jack) Sheldon who pre-dated Mr. B A Stammers.
I have a copy of the Tucker Insight magazine with the photo of this famous match in!! Dad played golf regularly with John and Mo Frankham. B Stammers was Brian.

I have a copy of the Tucker Insight magazine with the photo of this famous match in!! Dad played golf regularly with John and Mo Frankham. B Stammers was Brian.

Ron Hodge, Mike Prosser, Geoff Hall, Fred Higgs, Ron Howell, Gordon Thomasson, Jack Sheldon, Stan Ward and John Wright circa 1970/1971

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 28
thanks mort i was hoping you may do that...now all we need is some names to all those faces...i have a lot of photos of the bulding of tuckers so if anyone is interested i am happy to post a few tomorrow...

lyn
hi lyn i was wondering if you had any pictures of francis howard goodenough in your collection he worked at tuckers for a long time we are not sure but think he worked there around 1939 he was in a reserved occupation so joined the home guard. he retired in 1975 , thank you , lou

Back